ARC SOOTHSAYER - question re dip switches...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IanJarrold, Feb 24, 2015.

1. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

Hi All,

Can a helpful Soothsayer owner please give me an 'idiots guide' to the dip switch settings that control the third clipping option on the soothsayer?

Is it as simple as this:
    DIP 1 - selects low or high gain (high gain as standard).
    DIP 2 - on for LED clipping (with with DIP 3 off?)
    DIP 3 - on for symmetrical clipping (with DIP 2 off?)
    What happens if both DIP 2 and DIP 3 are "on"?

What is the configuration for a 'standard Rat' sound? Is this the 'asymmetrical boutique' mode?

Many thanks all!

2. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

3. insubordination

insubordination Member

Why not just email Aaron at ARC? He's very nice and would probably be happy to help you out.

TheRealDeal likes this.
  4. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

Good call insubordination - thanks.

5. mwilson19

mwilson19 Member

Did you get any feedback from Arc?

6. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

Yes I did:

"you should only select 1 DIP (2 or 3) for the 3rd clipping option. For the standard RAT sound you'd want DIP 3 to be "ON" and DIP 2 to be in the "2" position, which is off, with the 3rd external clipping option selected. A little confusing on paper but really it just lets you have a user assignable 3rd clipping option between LED's and standard RAT symmetrical clipping"

7. mwilson19

mwilson19 Member

Thanks !

8. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I received my Soothsayer this week and I'm not getting those classic Rat distortion-meets-fuzz tones at all :( The included manual doesn't make a lot of sense. There are 3 dip switches. Mine has the first two UP and the third in the DOWN position. The external toggle I think should be in the right position, I believe. So according to your post should it be the following:

Dip Switch 1: Up
    Dip Switch 2: Down
    Dip Switch 3: Up

I'm playing a Les Paul with Burstbucker Pro's, a Tele and a Jazzmaster into the clean channel of my Budda SDII 30W. Thanks!

9. krr149

krr149 Member

I think the Dip switches affect the left-most position?

10. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

I totally agree - I just had an ARC Soothsayer and I had a hard time getting classic RAT sounds out of it. I also found the manual not super clear.

I'm sure that once you figure it all out it's great and would have a lot more versatility ... but in the end I just went with a Mooer Black Secret which had instant-awesome RAT tone goodness right out of the box.

11. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I also emailed Aaron at Arc Effects. He said that the first two dip switches should be up and the third down should be down for the Rat sound, plus use the far right clipping option. To my ears it got close to a Rat but it has it's own unique voice. With that being said, it's an incredibly versatile pedal with a TON of options! Definitely keeping this one.

Fuzzr likes this.
  12. anhammon

anhammon Member

In case anyone else was still confused after reading all this:

DIP 1 controls gain. UP is "high gain" (standard RAT amounts) and DOWN is "low gain." This applies to every setting on the toggle switch mounted on the face of the pedal, between the volume and tone pots.

DIP 2 and 3 control what kind of clipping you get in the LEFTMOST position on the toggle switch.**
    • If you want LED CLIPPING -- aka, the type of clipping found on the TURBO RAT -- set DIP 2 to UP and DIP 3 to DOWN.
    • If you want SYMMETRICAL CLIPPING -- aka, the type of clipping found on a normal RAT -- set DIP 2 to DOWN and DIP 3 to UP.

So if you want your Soothsayer to sound like a RAT 2 when the toggle switch on the top of the pedal is in its LEFTMOST position:
    DIP 1 = UP
    DIP 2 = DOWN
    DIP 3 = UP

If you want it to sound like a TURBO RAT in the leftmost position:
    DIP 1 = UP
    DIP 2 = UP
    DIP 3 = DOWN

If you set BOTH DIP 2 and DIP 3 to UP, you get BOTH types of clipping (sounds bad, and quiet.)
    If you set BOTH DIP 2 and DIP 3 to DOWN, you get NO CLIPPING, which means that it sounds exactly like the "center" position on the top toggle switch.

** You can't control the other two positions on the toggle switch: CENTER is "no clipping" (loud and cleaner) and RIGHT is "boutique asymmetrical" (a unique type of clipping that is found only on the Soothsayer, not on any version of the Rat.)

PS: I'm totally sure this is all correct, since I played around with the pedal's guts exposed, watching the little LEDs on the circuit board light up with DIP 2 was set to UP, and listening as the Soothsayer sounded a whole lot like my 1992 RAT 2 with DIP 3 set to up. The pedals do sound a little different even then. On my setup, the Soothsayer has way more volume on tap (sort of annoyingly too much) and is much less trebly (I need to set the tone almost all the way up to get a nice tone.) Still, I like it... I keep mine in the TURBO RAT setting... love those LEDs!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Deluzion and YETI like this.