Archtop Pickup

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by dobro, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dobro

dobro Member

Howdy...

I've got an old Gibson L-4 archtop (oval sound hole) that I'm thinking about getting a pickup for. I'd rather not drill holes or use superglue...there is no pickguard on the guitar. I'm looking for as accurate acoustic reproduction as possible, not a magnetic pickup. Music is primarily folk/singer-songwriter stuff....strumming and single-note leads primarily - little finger-picking. Mostly small venues, but with the occasional good-sized outdoor festival a possibility.

I've had a Schertler Basik recommended, but I am very open to other suggestions.

I'm primarily a dobro player (go figure!) and I finally saw Jerry Douglas playing through his new Aura system (pickup and pedal) last week, and am convinced it's the best thing out there for the dobro...I see a bunch of other Aura pedals, for dreads, jumbos, OMs, etc., but nothing for archtops. I'm wondering if one of the guitar pedals would work for the L-4 with an appropriate (whatever that is) pickup.

Barring that, I'd likely go through a Baggs Para-acoustic DI.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Lee

2. improviduto

improviduto Member

K&K Sound has a number of options for amplifying acoustic instruments. I have a K&K Sound Pure Archtop installed in my archtop, and I love it. No need for a preamp, either. I run it through a Fender Acoustasonic Jr.

3. dobro

dobro Member

Thanks...I'll look into those.

Anyone else? FWIW, I'll be running my signal to the house system, not an amp.

...or judging by my playing last night, I may drop-kick the guitar into the next county and just stick to the dobro...sheesh!

4. drive-south

drive-south Member

If you are planning to run through a house PA, I would definately get a preamp so you will have some control over your' tone and volume.

K&Ks can be used without preamps, but most people report much better results when using a preamp. I run mine through a K&K XLR preamp.

driive-south

5. dobro

dobro Member

Thanks....I've got the Baggs now...but for doubling on dobro and guitar I'd need another. I heard David Lindley last week also, he was running his Weissies through a D-Tar that sounded great...they've got a two-channel pre, so that might be the ticket.

6. esiegel

esiegel Member

and if you are planning to drop kick it, give me a call and I'll take it offa your hands. I've been looking for a deal on one of these for a while.

E

7. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I would go with the K&K archtop model. I installed one in my '59 Super 400, and it works great. It attaches with super glue and is removable. I went with the 'vintage jack' so I would not have to drill out the tailpiece.

I also have a '29 L-4 (VERY cool guitar), and I am thinking of putting a K&K in that one as well.

I also bought the K&K preamp, which works very well.

8. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Member

Haven't found an *acoustic* archtop transducer that I totally liked, though the K&K twins offer the best tone I've heard so far sans and with a valid preamp.

9. dobro

dobro Member

The K&K gets a lot of votes anyway. Has anyone tried a Schertler? They seem to be the hot ticket for mandolin.

10. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

I have the Schertler -- and yes, once you find the optimal placement for it, it works very nicely. Very pricey though. I used it on my mandolin for a while, but recently got the Baggs Radius for that.

I have K&K's in a 12 string that work great; I could never get them to work in my Taylor 6-string -- and have been wary of installing them in my old Epi... might be worth a try though, given the other thumbs-up replies.