1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Archtop recommendations?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Unburst, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Unburst

Unburst Member

I'm looking to get an acoustic archtop, non cutaway is fine around $1000 or so.
    I want it for playing fingerstyle jazz and a little gypsy jazz at home.

A friend of mine has a pre-war Martin R-17 that I love, and I've seen a few '50's Gibsons going for $1000-1500.

Any undiscovered gems out there I should be looking for?

2. sinner

sinner Member

3. lbw

lbw Member

You could try to pick up something used in the Japanese D'Aquisto or D'Angelico range for about $1000-1500 USD. The D'Aquisto's in particular make a lot of very nice acoustic archtops.

4. suttree

suttree Member

there was a nice older ibanez floating around here somewhere for sale, too wasn't there?

5. suttree

suttree Member

there's also a gibson howard roberts FS in the emporium for $1160

not mine, just a heads up.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Thanks for the tip.

I think I'm pretty much set on getting a '50's Gibson, maybe just because I never thought I could get a '50's Gibson but it seems that the vintage market is so polarized that you can get vintage bargains if they are not considered "desirable"

7. drolling

drolling Member

I've got a '59 Gibson ES-125 that I picked up for $800 CDN a few years back. It's a "student-model" - no-frills, unbound neck & f-holes, w/a dog-ear P-90 pickup that hums so loud "you'd think you were losin' your mind"..Great guitar for lef-coast jump & swing.. It's the one I started learing Django's tunes on

- tho' I've since moved onto a recent production Chinese-made Saga Gitane oval hole w/Stimer reissue pickup. Clubby necked John Jorgenson signature model (DG-300).. 27" scale that I string w/silver-coated 'manouche' lights..

Sounds best thru' a decidedly non-acoustic Fender '63 Vibroverb, tho' I've been using an old tweed champ for recording - It's a nice change to be able to feel the vibes resonating thru' your diaphragm before they hit your eardrums,,,

8. Mojo Tele

Mojo Tele Member

Eastman, chinese wonder. Handmade... in a word Awesome! Don't take my word for it - go try one out.

9. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Unburst---I have a '41 Gibson ES-100 solid top archtop (think Charlie Christian ES-150---the student model!)

Here's a pic of one (mine is identical)---mine is missing a pickguard, but I have a template--

[​IMG]

---if this type of archtop may interest you, feel free to PM or email me--it is a classic sound--

ac

10. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

ooops---i see you want an ACOUSTIC archtop---nevermind---good luck with your search!

ac

11. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've got a '42 Gibson L-50 that sounds incredible.

The neck is pretty full (wartime steel rationing meant no truss rod), but I love it!