"ARDM USA" 12AX7s???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Freedom, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Freedom

Freedom Member

Hi guys,

A colleague of mine just gave me four 12AX7s the only thing is etched on them is the "ARDM USA"...there is "RAYTHEON ECC83 12AX7" written on the boxes as well...

I am still at work so i can't really compare them to my mullards but from memory their guts remind me my mulls very much (still, no mull etched codes, no red pins on the base and i think the glass on the top is different, i think my mulls have somekind of seam on the top, these don't)...

Anyway, has anyone got any infos about any tubes with the "ARDM USA" sign?

I'll try to post some photos when i get home...

Thanks in advance guys...

Nick

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

That'll help immensely. My guess is that they're a later-production Japanese Raytheon, but a good photo or two will take the guess work out.

- Thom

3. Freedom

Freedom Member

Photos:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Click the pics to enlarge...

Btw, the flashing looks great, what you see in the photos is just because i used my camera's flash...

Thanks.

Nick

4. Timbre Wolf

Those tubes have me stumped.

They look like genuine Philips-style plates; insides look like Mullard or Dutch Philips (Amperex or Miniwatt). Valvo would have the getter ring mounted at an angle (usually), and Siemens would have pointy plate tabs. But there seem to be no seams on the glass, which Mullard and Dutch Philips should have. They don't appear Japanese, as I had first guessed.

Are you sure you can't come up with some codes, in full, bright sunlight?

:dunno

Let's hope we hear from Rockon1...

- T

5. Freedom

Freedom Member

I checked 'em and rechecked 'em...no etched codes at all...(darn!!!!)... :jo

6. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I have a couple of Philco branded tubes that look like these. I couldn't figure out what they were, I think I finally decided they night be Hit-Ray or Hitachi tubes - but I still don't know.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

C'mon Thom memory going on ya?-just kidding . Weve been down this road before. Theres a thread somewhere I started on these as you know I have a bunch. I eventually wrote on the boxes I keep them in "Raytheon/Mullard guts. I choose "Mullard guts"because its easier for me to remember(visualize) than "Philips guts". The etching,paint codes -Raytheon- Guts-Philips short plate design. Oh and its a USA made Raytheon short plate...Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

ARDM
    American Radar Defense Ministry?
    Allied Radar Defense Ministry?

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

10. Timbre Wolf

Yeah - I guess the sleep deprivation, over two years of raising a light-sleeping kid (born in 11/06), has taken its toll.:messedup I'm glad to note that, to my credit, I at least remembered you had a better clue than me on these.

Interesting that they have the GE-style "stencil" lettering on them. What's that about?

- T

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Well I find it compelling(that they are "produced" by Raytheon)that all the Raytheon BP's have have AR (sometimes AS) etched in the same location.

So hows family life? Pretty cool isnt it? My oldest son is now almost twenty and my younger son is 13. Time indeed flies! Enjoy every moment you possibly can! :) Bob

12. Timbre Wolf

Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana
    :banana

I'm tryin' - thanks, bro!

13. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I thought they were GEs are well when I first looked at the pic. The lettering is almost identical. The plates look somewhat similar except for the D-like looking hole (which has plate material behind it - never seen that before!) which is the Mullard giveaway. I'd like to know how these sound!

14. Timbre Wolf

Like a raymullardge should, I suppose.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

So the tube on the left is a 1962 Mullard. The one on the right is the ARDM "Raytheon" Near as I could tell idsentical guts down to the mica. Bob

[​IMG]

16. Timbre Wolf

You've even counted the mica points, haven't you? The Rays guts definitely seem identical (whether to Mullard or Heerlen Amperex innards, I couldn't say).

You're also correct about the AR or AS on the Raytheons, Bob. Don't know what that signified to them, but it is consistent with the Raytheon packaging.

- T

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yes they both have 8 points per mica with 2 teeth missing(oppesed from each other) per mica. I call them Raytheon Mullards cause its more memorable than Raytheon Philips. That said I just realised that only Mullards have this type of mica(one of JW's observations) so I may be onto something! Heerlen Amperex,Siemens have all the teeth-none missing. Bob

18. Timbre Wolf

Cool! You've narrowed it down to Mullard innards. I previously called them RayMullardGE (Raytheon label + box, Mullard inner assembly, and GE stencil etch writing). But I think that perhaps Mullarkey is a good name, too :roll

Someone tell me how their sound compares to real Mullards? Real Raytheon? Real GE?

:banana (why's this here? my 2-yr.-old girl wouldn't stop shouting, with exuberance, about the dancin' banan')

- T

19. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Its been a while since I tried them . American mullard. hmmmm... Raytheon/Philips collaberation?...All Ive really got to go one as to them being Raytheon are the paint codes, the association of the AR in the etch code and maybe the shape of the bottle around the base.... I'll have to give them an A/B.

Seems like a lifetime since my kids were that young....suddenly feeling old-(well Im not that old(48) and I look younger)........ Toddlers are joyous and a pita depending on the day. So I miss it and I dont! I think I miss it more than I dont though. lol! :) Bob

20. Freedom

Freedom Member

First of all, thank you for your infos and i mean all of you...

I've got 3 Mullard 12AX7s (I63 Blackburn codes) installed in my plexi so i ll pop these in and try to listen to any differences, soundwise...

Although last week i spent about 4.5 hours rotating all my nine mullards (6 I63s, 3 I61s) to all positions (especially V1 and V3) just to determine which of these sounded best and my conclusions were not crystal clear...

Anyway, i'll let you know my (100% subjective) sound comparison... ;)