are 1.5 steps on high E bound to throw the tuning off a bit?

still.ill

Seems like even with guitars with proper locking tuners that have been stretched and stringed properly, every time I try this bend the turbo tuner will say the E is noticeably a bit more flat.

B Money

that's a pretty big bend, I wouldn't be surprised if the string went a little flat. Obviously, the increased tension of the bent string is transferred to the tuner and the bridge, so either the saddle is slipping or the tuner is twisting

mbetter

that's a pretty big bend, I wouldn't be surprised if the string went a little flat. Obviously, the increased tension of the bent string is transferred to the tuner and the bridge, so either the saddle is slipping or the tuner is twisting
Or the nut is binding, which is most likely.

It could be down to a number of things.
First to try and point things out more acuratly it helped to know on what guitar exactly its happening. If te has tremolo, or locking stuff.

First thing that can come to mind will be nut binding

lowyaw

IME, it’s normal
Often the string retunes itself soon. Other than that I’ll just check tuning every couple songs. Quite often stage lights or just playing a cold guitar will throw off tuning way worse by the third song, so yeah. Nothing to worry about unless you have perfect pitch.

fjrabon

No way to say without seeing it happen in the individual guitar and how far off we are talking exactly. These vague generalities unfortunately can’t produce real answers. I can just say that on a well maintained guitar with a fixed bridge, I can do a two step bend on the high e and still be close enough to in tune for an open e chord to ring correctly.

All i can say as an example is, i've been playing my MIM classic 50's strat with vintage tuners and 6 point floating bridge yesterday all afternoon, lots of snappy rhythms, tons 1 to 1.5 bends and double bends and tremolo action, cleaned, back to case. Taken it out a while ago and it's still in almost perfect tune...

No, I don't have that issue with my guitars. Two of them have locking nuts, but even on my strat I don't have that problem.

richnrbq

I've found that technique can be a big factor with staying in tune after bends. If I push the string too much from the side and without a gentle but snug downward, even pressure on the fret, I'm more likely to go out of tune on a bend. I'd experiment a bit with technique to see if it makes a difference.

cap10kirk

I'd check the nut slots, make sure the string isn't binding. It should stay in tune better than that.

Sadhaka

Could be nut slots but just as likely how you put the strings on and how you tune up the guitar. And fwiw a binding nut often plinks while tuning.

You really have to tune strings up to pitch. If the note is sharp when tuning and you unwind the string down to pitch you will slacken the winds on the peg. Doing a 1.5 tone bend will tighten the string back on the peg but the resting pitch will be flat.

Just a thought.

If your guitar has a tremolo bridge that is set as floating it may not return the same every time as well.