Are 1x12 cabs harsher them 2x12,4x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ArcNSpark, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ArcNSpark

ArcNSpark Member

Currently have a very nice closed back 1x12 with a WGS Reaper,
    at low volumes it sounds good. High volumes not so much. My thought
    is the 1x12 is just not dispersing the sound and is just too aggresive and
    focused at higher volumes.
    This seems to happen wether I'm farther away, off to the side, etc.
    Using the 1x12 mostly for size/ weight reasons. I know a bigger cab
    will sound, well bigger, but will it also sound less harsh?

2. freaksho

freaksho Member

yeah in general the higher frequencies will play a less prominent role as you add speakers.

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

also, is it a brand new speaker by chance? they mellow significantly in the first 20 or so hours of use.

4. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I believe there's a "sweet spot" range for a speaker. Too little volume and power and it seems to lack punch and dynamics becoming sort of lifeless. Too much seems to start choking out and again losing dynamics. This is why I find a 1x12 to sometimes sound a little boxy.

A 2x12 has more dimension to it, but again pump too much to it and it starts sounding small to me. This is why I've never cared for a Marshall (even a 50 watter) into anything but a 4x12. A 4x12 stays more in that sweet spot with a Marshall.

5. patentcad

patentcad Member

6. ArcNSpark

ArcNSpark Member

thanks for the ideas here. Will try the homebrew beam blocker.. The speaker should
    be broken in. I know there are alot of other factors at play here besides just the
    cab. Never owned a 4x12 it seems like overkill for me. Not about volume so much as
    sound though.

7. patentcad

patentcad Member

I have the Egnater Tweaker 40 112 combo and the head, the head goes through a Tourmaster 212 ext cab, and the latter sounds SOOO much less midrangy and balanced. Every 212 I've ever heard sounds 3x better than a similar 112 combo. So far at least. I'm sure there may be some exceptions, but that does appear to be the rule. Bigger speaker cabinet = better tone. There's a shock.

8. Koop

Koop Member

:agree I liked my Egnater Tweaker through their 112 (G12h30) until I started playing through 212 cabs. My Avatar Vintage G212 cabs sound SO MUCH BIGGER. No comparison. I'll use the 112 as a practice cab but I don't think I'll gig with it.

9. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

10. geekocaster

geekocaster Member

I like the avatar 1x12 deep cubes.

11. djw

djw Member

Oversized 1x12's can sound great, actually. Either deeper or wider/taller can do wonders alleviate that cube-of-pain effect you can get with standard compact 1x12s.

But yeah, there's probably a formula taking volume, cab size and number of speakers as factors in translating into more or less pain.

12. freaksho

freaksho Member

the jump from 1x12 to 2x12 is much bigger than from 2x12 to 4x12 imo, though i've never actually owned a 4x12. but i do plug into the occasional 4x12 just to see what it's like. i'm a big 2x12 fan as a result - you get most of the benefits with just 2, especially with a somewhat oversized 2x12 cab. but really that one extra speaker is what makes the main difference to my ear.

13. Unadan

Unadan Member

Really? Kind of a blanket statement. I love 1x12s!

14. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

I think oversized 1x12s solve this dilemma a bit, but then you're back to more real estate. Maybe a vertical 2x12 would be a good choice. Like a Z-Best cab.

15. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Yes, doubt I'll go back to 1x12s again.

16. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

That begs the question, is a big box 2x12 better than an oversized 1x12 with 2 x 12" speakers in it?

RRC

17. aflynt

aflynt Member

My Forte 3D 1x12" with a Jensen C12K in it sounds really nice. I think a lot of it has to do with the speaker you choose too. I've found that you really need a bass-heavy dark toned speaker for a 1x12". The Jensen is perfect for that and the Forte really brings out that bigness in an amazingly balanced and consistent way with great dispersion.

-Aaron

18. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

I think it depends on whether the speaker is broken in, whether is a good match for the cab, and the design of the cab.

I've played thru several cabs and have had different results. A simple Mesa pen back 1x12 did not sound that great. A Bogner cube and my current Pure 64 1x12 sounded terrific and as big as my Mesa 2x12.