Are 4x12 cabinets a dying breed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Figaro, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I've noticed that some local music stores are full of used 4x12 cabinets. They are not buying them and are not allowing much for them in trade. Are 4x12 cabinets a dying breed?

2. somedude

somedude Member

More supply than demand.

Lots of people have sold their gear to pay bills, plus cabs take up a lot of retail space. It's not like people are lining up to buy used gear, so a lot of it just sits there collecting dust.

3. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

Would you rather carry 4x12 cabs or PA cabs?
    I think sound systems are at the point they are covering everything even with a Fender Champ.

4. zorak

zorak Member

Not as much demand due to smaller venues and better P.A. Plus, digital interfaces are replacing head/cab combos for a lot of people.

That being said, if you have a Marshall or the like, nothing beats the sound of a 4x12 moving your pants leg. It's the tone!

5. Geek USA

Geek USA Member

Modern rock/metal guitarists still traditionally use 4x12s, and that's not going to end anytime soon. It does seem like 2x12s and combos are gaining popularity, and of course here on TGP you don't too many 4x12s, but most gigging guitarists in rock/metal are still using them.

6. hktk

hktk Member

I think it depends on what you are doing.

I play in a heavy rock band and life got better for me the day I sold my TSL half stack for a lunchbox head and 2 1x12 cabs. Apart from being more versatile and easier to transport I have found that I get along with sound guys a lot better now.

just my 2c.

7. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

I dig 4x12's however, I personally like the sound of a 2x12. I think it is because they are tighter. Doesn't hurt that I am using Stoneage. Best sounding 2x12 I have ever played through. I ended up getting another one and run different speakers. Sounds awesome. I have no desire for a 4x12 other than they look cool.

8. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I see a lot of crap cabs for sale, crate line 6 low end marshall. But the good stuff mesa, marshall 1960's etc. seems to more. Maybe 10 15 years ago younger players were buying them, to fig the image, now they buy a combo or get a quality cab. I su pect a lot of cabs are people clearing out their extras. I know a few guys who had a home cab and a rehersal cab. Times are tight that is now luxury.

9. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

Yes.
    Even smaller coffee shops these days have large and capable PA's sometimes.
    The 4x12 is just too much most of the time...

Personally, my amps have gotten smaller and smaller to the point that I now play through mostly 1x12 amps. For the large shows, I bring 2 of them.

10. barron

barron Member

That's what I've been seeing aswell.

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

12. auraelux

auraelux Member

I think people might be realizing that even at larger gigs all it takes is a great 1x12 or 2x12 combo with a mic on it; while listening to what a well rounded sound guy tells you to do. And most of the "pros" wanting an even bigger sound can just run an 800 into Palmer cab emulators. Half of the huge full stack walls you see on stage these days are made out of cardboard and plywood with a combo behind them.

13. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Silver Supporting Member

they're not dying, but they sure smell funny.

14. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

As others have said, for me it is just too much to carry. I have an oversized 2x12 from
    Mojotones that weighs about the same as a 4x12 and it is a staple of my home guitar room, but it hasn't left the house in over a year. Any gig I get I can cover with my DRRI mic'ed through the house PA.

15. jcat5503

jcat5503 Supporting Member

I'll never use one again. Just too much. I struggle at with sound guys at some gigs (decent sized venues) even with my 1x12

16. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I can lift my marshall 1960ax without much problem at all. Actually surprised at how light it was when I demo'ed it. ITs only about 15 lb heavier than my 1x12 Mesa lonestar cab which I think uses 3/4" ply and a heavy speaker.

This said, there are a few practical problems with a 4x12 volume wise. All the power goes through the front. They are laser beams that will take the heads off people in front of the stage. open back cabs release slightly less than half of their volume through the back. Also, tilting back a 4x12 to point it at your ears (and roof) to let the PA do its work would seem to look a little crazy. You can tilt a 1x12 without concern. In fact, that's 'expected'.

I can run my 1x12 at the sweet spot (noon) on high power (60w), but I have to run my 4x12 at about 10:00 on low power (25W) or else the soundman goes ballistic.

17. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

OK sorry guys but.... :horse Audio science says that a 4x12 cab is no louder than a 2x12, is no louder than a 1x12. In fact the 4x12 will be a touch quieter due to phase cancellation between the speakers in the shorter frequencies (in practice the large peak around 2Khz-4Khz gets "flattened" in a 4x12. In other words if you had say 5 EV speakers the 1x12 would sound louder with your 50watt amp than the 4x12. In reality a 4x12 tends to have a very even almost HiFi flat response 80Hz-5Khz where a 1 x12 will dictate a more peaky tone to your amp.

Problem is people talk rubbish about this cause they don't pay attention to varying speaker efficiencies.... if your 4x12 has 100 dB speakers and your 1x12 is a 97dB speaker you will hear your amp as twice as big thru the 4x12... if the 4x12 has 97db speakers and the 1x12 is a 100dB you'll hear exactly the opposite.

BTW There are loads of incorrect graphs on the internet...where someone has stuck a mike right up close to one speaker in a 4x12 and published that... thereby revealing their audio incompetance... you have to measure AT A DISTANCE at least 15ft away to "see" the cab's real response.

18. Geek USA

Geek USA Member

Shouldn't a 4x12 have less speaker distortion and equal volume to a 2x12 because the wattage is being split among more speakers? That would be another significant difference in sound, in addition to size and phase cancellation.

19. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

Nothing sounds like a 4x12 and it has NOTHING at all to do with cranking it.

20. octatonic

octatonic Member

I think a well designed oversized 2x12 is essentially a no-compromise solution to wanting big tone but not wanting to lug around a huge cab.