Are 6AQ5-A and 6v6 tubes the same thing?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by 6789, Dec 10, 2005.

1. 6789

6789 Member

I'm thinking of getting a 1970s Fender Musicmaster Bass amp (small 12 watt amp) and I'm finding some are listed as using 6AQ5-A power tubes and some use 6v6 tubes. Are they interchangeable without modifications to the amp?

2. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

nope. 6AQ5 is 7-pin, 6V6 is 8-pin besides differences in electrical parameters.

3. 6789

6789 Member

thanks for the info.

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

But 6AQ5's were "supposed" to be a small bottle tube that was designed for a 6V6 type tone.

5. VacuumVoodoo

VacuumVoodoo Member

Well, both tubes were originally designed for two specific applications in TV sets: vertical deflection amplifier and audio output amp. Since they were designed for same target application they have similar characteristics.
    However, the question was: "Are they interchangeable without modifications to the amp?" and the answer is "no" because you would at least have to replace tube sockets".

6. samwheat

samwheat Member

6AQ5A's have max 300 plate voltage. 5000 ohm impedance OT on SE.

I have a Univox U45 from '65. I rebuilt it and added some distortion. It has a nice chime to it but you have to play it all out for it to sound good. Ain't that true of all amps!

7. Reeek

Reeek Member

I was just commenting. That's all.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

OTOH they are stupid cheap for great tubes (I sold a pair of NOS Amperex on Ebay for $15 IIRC).

9. hasserl

hasserl Member

GET THE AMP!!!!! Don't screw around and miss it!!

These are great little amps. Swap out the POS stock speaker for a Weber Signature 12 alnico, and you'll have an outstanding little amp. It's unbelievable how good these little amps sound.

10. 6789

6789 Member

A lot of people use this amp for guitar. I'm planning on using it for recording bass. will the Weber Signature 12 alnico be a good bass guitar speaker? or do you have other suggestions?
    thanks

11. hasserl

hasserl Member

I used to use mine for bass work for recording too. I stuck a Carvin PS12 speaker in it and it did a decent job. Then Weber had a sale on their Signature 12's so I picked one up and stuck it in the MM Bass and plugged in my guitar and I'll never think about using it for bass again. If I need a bass rig bad enough I would pick up anything else, but I wouldn't let go of this combo. It is that good.

But back to your question, I wouldn't run a bass guitar thru that amp with the Signature 12. It might be okay a low volume, but I would think a lot of bass guitar frequencies could stress that speaker.

12. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

I'd ask Ted. He is very honest and responsive...

(Sorry for the email overload Ted! I get it so you may as well have it...)

-Jon

13. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

OH, ment to mention- the 6AQ5 is a great tube IF YOU CAN FIND A MATCHED PAIR!

Love the XFMR Phase Inverter in this amp- Very McIntosh like...

Would suggest EL84/6BQ5 replacement WITH REWIRING/REBIAS rather than re-punch for octal 6V6 socket. (It's gonna be problematic/expensive to repunch the holes..)

-Jon

14. Matt H

Matt H Guest

chances are you'll have to repunch to fit a 9 pin socket in there. most of the 7pin mini sockets i've seen are 5/8", whereas the novals are 3/4"... or did fender use oversized 7 pin sockets? (if so, that's awesome).

regardless- you'd still have to replace the tube sockets..