Are 7189 compatable to replace EL84 tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by consoleb, Feb 3, 2008.

1. consoleb

consoleb Member

I have some old Amperex 7189 tubes and somewhere I read they are compatable to use where a EL84 is used is that true?

2. consoleb

consoleb Member

What about for use in a guitar amp. I just bought a GIbson Goldtone GA30rvs and am waiting it's arrival. and I may want to trade but I want to learn more first.
    Thanks

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'm using a set of RCA 7189's in my Goodsell Super 17 with great results.

4. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

Real 7189s are the Holy Grail... do not part with them under any circumstances.

5. consoleb

consoleb Member

Lil,Strat thank you for your advice.

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Any 6BQ5 from ~1980 up through the end of US production *is* a 7189. They simply made one tube to the higher specs and put both designations on it.

7. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

I put a set of Bugle Boy 7189s in a Two-Rock Ruby and forgot to put back the original tubes when I sold it (or at least to charge a little something extra). Doh!

8. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

If consoleb's 7189s are old Amperex, it is likely that they were made in Western Europe, probably Holland. They last a long time, holding their spec better than any current eastern republic '84s. It is possible to coax >20w from a pair with a plate supply @440-450v. A well-matched quad can be geeked up to 50w with a combined cathode resistance of 50 ohms and a cooling fan... but that would compromise the longevity a bit.

9. consoleb

consoleb Member

I haven't bought tubes in about seven years (sold my amp) WOW have prices jumped for NOS tubes. You guys are great! keep up the good postings.
    Thanks