Are 7189 compatable to replace EL84 tubes?

consoleb

I have some old Amperex 7189 tubes and somewhere I read they are compatable to use where a EL84 is used is that true?

consoleb

What about for use in a guitar amp. I just bought a GIbson Goldtone GA30rvs and am waiting it's arrival. and I may want to trade but I want to learn more first.
Thanks

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
I'm using a set of RCA 7189's in my Goodsell Super 17 with great results.

AdmiralB

Real 7189s are the Holy Grail... do not part with them under any circumstances.

Any 6BQ5 from ~1980 up through the end of US production *is* a 7189. They simply made one tube to the higher specs and put both designations on it.

zoooombiex

I put a set of Bugle Boy 7189s in a Two-Rock Ruby and forgot to put back the original tubes when I sold it (or at least to charge a little something extra). Doh!

Lil'Strat

If consoleb's 7189s are old Amperex, it is likely that they were made in Western Europe, probably Holland. They last a long time, holding their spec better than any current eastern republic '84s. It is possible to coax >20w from a pair with a plate supply @440-450v. A well-matched quad can be geeked up to 50w with a combined cathode resistance of 50 ohms and a cooling fan... but that would compromise the longevity a bit.

consoleb

I haven't bought tubes in about seven years (sold my amp) WOW have prices jumped for NOS tubes. You guys are great! keep up the good postings.
Thanks

Trending Topics

Top Bottom