Are all compressors so noisy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aivlys, Jan 21, 2012.

1. aivlys

aivlys Member

I have a Boss CS-3, and it just hisses so much. Is that part of the deal with compressors?

Also, I've seen the term "bloom" used to describe the sound of compressors. Has any one else encountered that word?

Suggestions?

2. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Member

Post your signal chain details and amp settings. I am guessing that your compressor is amplifiying noise from your signal coming into your compressor.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

The CS3 is not a pleasant compressor, check out ovnilabs.com for more info. I have owned a handful of comps this year and they were all dead silent. I also use a Furman power conditioner. Bloom is a common word to describe what happens to notes, some compressors will demonstrate this more than others.

4. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

Yeah, I had a CS-3 and I quickly got rid of it because it had so much self-noise. Do a search on TGP for "quiet compressors" and you'll find several that fit that category.

5. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Yup, the CS3 is pretty bad. Avoid.

6. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

Toadworks Mr.Squishy is one of th quietest I've ever played

7. aivlys

aivlys Member

Ernie Ball VP < CS3 < Timmy < Distortron < Formula #5 < Hot Cake <MXR Phase 90 < Line 6 Tremelo < Line 6 Verbzilla < Eventide Eclipse < DLV < VOX AC15 w/ blue alnico.

Amp Settings are all at 12 O'clock.

8. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I haven't tried many at all-I did notice the Mxr Custom Comp was pretty hissy, so I guess I have the same question-do they all do that? If that's normal for a comp, I guess that one sounded pretty good.

9. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

I did the Opto Mod Plus from Monte Allums and it made an improvement in noise and overall sound, but I no longer have the pedal.

Bloom in terms of compression means that the initial attack is cut off at whatever the threshold is set at, and subsequently the signal is expanded to bring the lower level signal up in volume. This gives the impression of sustain.

10. HBob

HBob Member

I had a CS-2 that was noisy. Sold it after I got a Homebrew Electronics (HBE) Compressor Retro (CPR). Sounds great and is not noisy at all.

11. QQQ

QQQ Member

I have tried a bunch of boutique comp pedals and they all had too much noise to make them useful in my rig. I finally tried a Rothwell Love Squeeze and it was by far the quietest comp pedal I have ever used. Only reason I sold that was I just moved away from using a comp pedal at all.

12. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Higher end ones don't have as much. I had a Carl Martin that was awesome.

Oddly enough, I have gone through an mxr super comp, a few dyna comps, and maxon, and right now I have a dyna comp. It is an older one, but not vintage, but the guy you built it must have been having a good day because it sounds amazing and the noise is not bad at all.

13. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

my cs3's pretty noisy. to the extent i stopped using it.

14. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

The CS-3 was my first compressor pedal. It left me wondering what the hell a compressor even did. As far as I could tell, it was for generating white noise. I avoided them for years after that. When I finally returned to using a comp, I got a Diamond and now I get it...and love it for acoustic and electric. Please don't let the CS-3 colour your opinion on compressor pedals...anything is better than that one. Boss should take note and do a CS-4 with a circuit redesign....
    Barnzy

15. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

CS3 is Pretty hissy. I find the OS comps quieter but, since not everyone agees, I think it may be my bad experience with non-OS comps. Right now I am playing an Analogman Orange Juicer. I find it very quiet and pleasing sound-wise. Really want a mini bi-comp next. I also want to try an optical compressor like the Fromel Velvet Vice. I hear Opto comps are the quietist.

16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

My Aguilar TLC is not noisy.

17. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Compressors are noisier in front of dirt pedals, try it after dirt. It's much quieter.

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No. In particular, the BJF Pine Green comp has no added hiss, and I run it before dirt like you do.

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

If you have a Dynacomp or similar compressor, and crank the compression up completely, you'll hear that the note goes quiet for a second when you hit it hard and gradually gets louder. That's the extreme of "bloom", or "pumping" as it's called in studio speak. It's an artifact and not really what most folks shoot for in their compressors, but pushing it that far and backing off can give you some nice sustain.

I've got a Comprosser from Analogman, a Shannon compressor and a Rogue compressor right now, and none of them are terribly noisy unless you're pushing pretty hard.

20. Steve Mavronis

Steve Mavronis Member

I've read about this in another thread and there's a kind of debate on either side. But for me with a Dyna Comp clone first I set it for a clean signal unity on/off volume match. Then I have to judge afterwards how much louder my 250 overdrive clone should be when it is engaged. To do that in the opposite order would be impossible. So with the compressor I end up with the level around 1:00 and the sensitivity around 10:00 and it isn't too noisey overall.