Are all Russian Tubes Bad?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jh45gun, Feb 28, 2008.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

OK when I asked about those tubes I just got Realistic life time warranty ect I was told they are junk. Well I just picked up a tube amp for parts for my builds here is the post so tell me what I have and are they all bad?

OK here is the deal I took a chance and bought a junk amp today for parts for my amp building and I wanted the cab for some speakers I had. The amp was a Peavey Duel No speakers just the cab and chassis with tubes. I was hopeing it might be an easy fix but some twit took it apart and put the longer screws in the back on the front top and cracked the board burnt a resistor and burnt a hole in the board. and there was a huge resistor over the 6l6's that was fried. That was the two obvious things who knows what else. So of course the tubes are russian are they all bad? One 6l6 is a Groove Tubes an other is a Mesa Engineering (Where is that made? ) and two are brown base and it says made in Russia 0045. This one has a circle on the glass with a C in the middle of the circle and 3 short bars on the circle on the sides. The are opposited one longer on top with the middle a bit shorter and the bottom the shortest then on the other side the bars are reversed short longer longest from bottom to top. So who makes these tubes and are any of them any good? The 4 12ax7s had no markings at all. Now before some one says hey dummy why did you take a fixable amp apart that is up for debate. I feel comfortable messing with the tweed circuits but this was way to complicated for me so I took it to my tech friend and took out the chassis to show him the damage he said it could be fixec but could cost more than I want to put into it or what it may be worth. I got to figure a Mid 90's Peavey tube amp with circuit boards cannot be worth that much on the used market. An other red flag was some one had cut wires in the amp then taped them up and not good either also a plug was poorly taped on the power cord instead of replaceing. I figure for what I have into it not much if the tubes are good and worth keeping and I can use the cab for my speakers and If I can use some pots ect then I am not out anything plus I am hopeing both trannies are good. I did plug it in and nothing of course but the tubes did light up at least the filiaments did. So are the newer Russian Tubes OK or are they junk too?

2. Swarty

Swarty Member

The Russian tube that New Sensor called a Sovtec 5881 (the one with the wafer base) is a pretty darn robust tube. It has a bzillion names and has been fitted with several bases over the years and is in everyones catalog. It may not sound like an RCA black plate, but it is OK sounding and is a tough critter to kill.

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Well I am not sure what the 12ax7s are as there are absolutely no markings on then at all. As far as the 616s go I have one groove tubes with a red label one Mesa Engineering and I guess from what I found out at an other board those other two are 'Winged C' svetlana tubes so how good are all of these. Of course since they came out of a amp with problems one or more could have issues. Hopefully not though.

4. Swarty

Swarty Member

They are ok if they are not used up.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thankfully no they arent all junk seeing as they represent a large chunk of the market. Bob

6. meburdick

meburdick Member

My MESA was creating some microphonics that could only be corrected with Russian-built pre-amp tubes. Something about the tolerances and specs that they build to stopping this particular issue. So, no... they are NOT all bad.

:)