Are all you EJ Strat owners still happy?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Scott_F, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Scott_F

Scott_F Gold Supporting Member

2. Rama

Rama Member

Very. The qualities that endear this strat to me are deep and it'll always be that way...not a fad flash in the pan strat...a real keeper.

and that comes from a fickle gear tradin addict

3. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Absolutely,
    I own 3 '62 RI's (which all needed jumbo frets and Fralin's to make them right), a Grosh Retro Classic and I got the EJ in July. After some minor tweaking (knocking down the finish on the neck with some wet sanding and a basic set-up) the guitar is the best Strat I've ever had. I've played all the high dollar Strats and the EJ I think is the best deal going. The pickups are fantastic, fret job very nice, finish...you name it...it kicks butt. I've heard people complain about the thick neck lacquer..and that's true but easily remedied. The pickups needed slight adjustment, but other than that, it was pretty much very playable out of the case. I GUARANTEE that you will soon see many of the EJ features on competitors guitars. This is an old school Strat if I've ever seen one.

FA

4. bullet69

bullet69 Member

extremely happy i cant see ever letting this one go. but ive said that before.

5. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

Mine is definitely a keeper!!

6. Fernando

Fernando Member

Would you be so kind as to post pictures of the neck after you sanded off the lacquer finish? I've been hearing people talk about this but I can't imagine how it looks. I mean, doesn't it look weird having the finish on the neck different from the finish on the headstock?

Thanks

7. talpa

talpa Member

:: 1st off :: The sticky neck will dry out! It took about 10 days, but its perfect now. Don't let that stop anyone.

Best new (10/5) production Strat I have ever owned. It is very close to my vintage '55 in playability. Weighs 7.6lbs, neck and sustain are really really good, no hype. My only issue is that I am spoiled on vintage pickup tones, and have trouble getting used to these (really great but different) pickups. I think I am a low ohm (5.8k or less) guy. Thinking about taking my '77 pickup set (which includes an old bridge Dimarzio HS-2 ala EJ) an dropping in this unit. I have CS '69 p/u's in another fiddle but even those don't have that 'mellow yet tight' tone like vintage/seasoned pups do.

I will buy another EJ. But first I hear a Colonial calling me.

ps. Some may call the neck laquer 'thick'. It isn't, its just tinted darker. Once it dries its a monster.

8. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

Question for Talpa. I'm right about to pull the trigger on an EJ but I too like the vintage strat sound. How are the EJ's pickups non-vintage sounding?? Could you describe the sound?? thanx

9. talpa

talpa Member

Tenement Funster: Well they are vintage sounding pickups, no doubt. They are just a little hotter wound. But the genius of these pickups are that they sound hotter in the quack positions (which cancel noise) so position #2 is a great lead tone as an example. Really every position is great - he spec'd these very intuitively. Insofar as strat pickup innovation, he has come up with something they haven't had before if you really analyze each position/tone characteristic.
    I guess I just like real vintage pickups period - magic dust I guess. But it will be real interesting to see how these EJs sound in 20 years. I prefer these over my '55 pups, but I really like my clean '77s alot, just personal.

Do not let this sway you. IMHO you will like this guitar more and more. The neck is on the larger side, but again well thought out - comfortable low and up high is a nice platform for your thumb for lead work - along with the flat 12" radius/lowish frets which is what EJ uses for fast runs - we can too.

After I get a Heritage Colonial and Hayseed rig I am going after a sunburst EJ and a LP Special with Bigsby for alt-country.

This EJ is the one to get right now. I believe you won't be dissapointed.

Jim

10. Rama

Rama Member

I'm a vintage nut and I LOVE these pickups...

Just go out and find one and hold it in your hands and PLAY it through a good tube amp.

11. tfunster

Talpa, thanx for the reply. I think the EJ strat will be mine within the next two weeks. Still deciding between the black and the red though.

And I give you props on the tfunster reference, most people wouldn't have a clue as to what that's from.

The only downside to the EJ is that I'll have to get an Allen Sweet Spot to go with it. Oh sweet GAS..:dude

12. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

13. robbert

robbert Member

I am buying one tomorrow and I can't wait :)

14. talpa

talpa Member

::Yeah my EJ is black by the way::

I love this nitro shot finish. I hope you like it. All the colors are great, but my '55 is in Cimarron Red. Looks like the real cimmaron red color if you know your Fender color history.

Armsworth

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  15. niersbach

niersbach Member

I have had mine for 4 days now and I really dont dig it at all. I sure hope the neck does dry out as 1 poster said because mine is extremely tacky. I have been rubbbing it down with a cloth trying to wipe off whatever it is they put on it and that has helped some. Right now as far as tone goes I am guessing that I am just not a strat kinda guy. I dont like the vintage type tuners on the thing at all and much prefer standard sized locking tuners. It just doesn't do it for me like my humbucker guitars do. I am sure its just me though. Hopefully I will grow into the thing over the coming months otherwise it will just get tossed on the chopping blocks.

16. USAgent

USAgent Member

I'm really enjoying mine! I also sanded off the lacquer finish from the back of
    the neck, other than that it was perfect as is. Great tones and looks, a keeper.

17. Gary Shetler

Gary Shetler Guest

+1 on the "keeper".

I have a CS '56 Closet Classic, and the EJ is right up there in build quality! It's lightweight, looks great (2-tone burst) and sounds awesome thru my Custom Vibrolux ......

I'm gonna have it for quite a while !!!

18. Rufus

Rufus Silver Supporting Member

Not that anyone asked :D, but for those who are looking at getting an EJ Strat, I would suggest at least trying out the John Mayer sig Strat before plunking down the cash. I tried 'em both, and while I thought both were excellent Strats, I ended up with the JM. The EJ Strat has a BIG, fat neck and the fretboard radius was a bit flat for my tastes. The PUs do sound great, but I think the JM PUs sound equally as good, although different. Plus, the JM Strat has a satin finish on the back of the neck (no need for sanding) and a dark rosewood board (my personal preference). And it costs a few hundy cheaper.

Mayer, of course, is not in the same league as EJ in terms of guitar skillz, and some folks might have a difficult time getting past his association with the guitar, but it really is a top notch Strat. Just MHO, of course. Glad all you EJ Stratters are still liking that model.

-JR

19. tfunster

Does the JM have a Nitro Finish too???

20. Rufus

Rufus Silver Supporting Member

I don't *think* so, but I don't know for sure.

-JR