Are amps on the way out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ranster44, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Ranster44

Ranster44 Member

I have talked to several young players and two music shop owners and they seem to indicate that more and more kids are going for an ampless rig, plugging directly into the PA from their pedal boards, using in ear monitors and wireless set ups. I can see many advantages to this, and I am also told (have not heard with my own ears) that you can get a good/great sound this way as digital is catching up with analogue. I have seen a couple of boards that tempt me to try this (most notably the NuX Cerebus).
    Now I have way too many years playing behind me and far too few in front of me to feel like I will divest myself of my few remaining amps. Having said that, in the last couple of years I have dumped my Vibroking, my Marshall, my DRRI and a couple of others and use 18 watts and under almost exclusively. So my question to you is...

Do you see yourself ever gigging without an amp and being happy with your tone?

2. nerdinary

nerdinary Member

I have a Vox AC15 which hasn't been turned on in over a year.

I've mostly been playing plugged into a Focusrite Scarlett + Macbook Pro + GuitarRig. Is much simpler to switch between sounds without fiddling all the knobs, just hit your preset buttons and go. Not only does it sound great, in a lot of instances, i think it sounds better than plugging directly into an amp.

I should probably sell my amp.

3. Ranster44

Ranster44 Member

May I ask how old you are?

4. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

I don't see myself going ampless unless I'm forced to. The younger generation may never own a single tube amp, even an 18 watter. The feel you get when you hit that first chord, the air in the room moves the moment is addictive. The younger set may never experience that, so won't care about having an actual amp.

5. goddot

goddot Member

Young people will buy an amp once they decide to buy a house...

6. kustombob

kustombob Member

I hope so then I can buy every ones amp cheap. I love amps

7. PB+J

PB+J Member

I suspect they are. They just reflect a different era and a web or now-obsolete technologies. Why lug an amp when the PA is doing all the work?

I know a bunch of people will post "they can have my amp when they pry it from my cold dead fingers" or something along those lines, and fine, nobody wants to take your amp; play it till you drop dead. People will still have and play amps, just like people still play the upright bass even though the electric bass has huge advantages. But in general the writing on the wall seems pretty clear

ToneGrail, 9fingers, Ryno1331 and 7 others like this.
  8. Benny

Benny Member

I doubt that I'll ever be in a situation where the vast majority of my gigs are ampless/silent stage, but that's more of an age/stage of gig-life thing for me. But I wouldn't be surprised if we're in the midst of a shift in the ampless direction. The state of technology these days (and the price of such technology) is such that novice players can get more and better sounds at home with modeling-based gear than with a traditional amp-based rig.

As those novice players progress, form bands, and climb the gig ladder, the ability to use affordable tech to get the desired sounds at just about any volume level could tend to make traditional amps less necessary/desirable. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see garage/hobby bands and early-stage gigging bands treat a couple of powered speakers as everyone's amp/PA.

Ranster44 likes this.
  9. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I still want amps and 100watt amps at that.

..... so I can profile them at home. I went Kemper. I don’t know where Tube amps will fit in ten years from now but I kept all mine and want more. But when I gig I take the Kemper.

homeunit, jjb, 3dognate and 10 others like this.
  10. sleewell

sleewell Member

pry mine from my cold, dead hands.

maybe convenient but most sound engineers will tell you there is something missing.

a tube amp into a di is a different story if you want a silent stage.

but nothing really beats a cranked up tube amp moving lots of air. loading gear does suck but some things are worth it.

e???, homeunit, AbePhroman and 12 others like this.
  11. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

there's a lot of amazing gear options out there now, for sure, but i don't see amps disappearing. i think it'll be more common to see folks with one or two amps, instead of multiple amps, but in tandem with a modeler or a DI solution.

ultimately, they're tools. if tools get more efficient and better able to accomplish a goal, i'm all for it. i picked up an HX stomp recently for a few reasons - fx selection, headphone practice, DI solution, audio interface, direct recording, reamping, etc. it's a crazy value, does a ton of things very well, and can integrate easily with my other gear.

am i selling my amps or pedals? nope. but it will help me play more, record quicker and easier, and provide options that i didn't have before. so it's a great tool.

12. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Member

Yes they are, but for a limited time only i will give you a few dollars for your tube amps. Give them to me for cheap while you still can!

13. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

I didn’t have an amp as a “young player” either. Kids are dumb.

homeunit, 5cr33nager, zuel69 and 11 others like this.
  14. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

Guitar in general better be ready for a recession. Rock isn't popular music any more. Everything is moving to electronically produced music.

15. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

This is BS.

There are a lot more than rock players here.

People still want to see and play instruments.

**My girl friend and best friends, and many of my friends are 25 or younger.

They are not listening to electronic music.

RicOkc, 5cr33nager, Baracus and 21 others like this.
  16. B Money

B Money Member

I'm sure stand alone guitar amps will always be around to some degree, but as you've pointed out many younger players don't see the need for one. That's fine, it's just another evolution of the instrument.

It's exciting, keeps the electric guitar interesting and hopefully extends it's lifecycle in popular music. We all know traditional rock music is considered "Grandpa music", no self-respecting 14 year old wants to be associated with that!

big-ez, Anacharsis, blackba and 2 others like this.
  17. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

True, but rock being popular music is what drove the guitar boom. Jazz isn't really driving people to mass produce instruments.

alex mansman and DeadLazy like this.
  18. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

More than jazz, too.

The rockstar is and has been dead. But the music lives and I see a merger.

I love my Amps but what I can do with a Kemper, on stage, that I can all take on the plain with me, blows my mind.

I’m definitely using modern tech to not just power me, but expand my musical inspiration and possibilities.

zcostilla likes this.
  19. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

This.

I plugged into the "Aux" jack of my record/tape/radio player and used headphones for years until I got a real amp.

kd2024, uab9253, Babysquid and 11 others like this.
  20. McGTR

McGTR Member

No, kids are justifying frozen pizza because thats what they can afford. When they get money, they want freshly made Italian pizza..