Are amps on the way out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ranster44, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Completely agree. The funny thing about these threads when they pop up is that many people with an open mind also love and enjoy tube amps but understand time and technologies change and are open to new things. The older "spit in the face of" new tech and change very much make it apparent that the only thing they consider is what they know and like and why it shouldn't change. That's not all that surprising to me given the average age on this site though.

2. OPENYOUREYES

OPENYOUREYES Member

maybe..Guitar playing in songs is for sure. Its gotten very generic and homogenous. I know a millenial that just started playing recently and i have what 50 yrs of playing on him yet he thinks he knows it all and wont even listen to my gear advice. Then again at 22 his mom is buying him his toys. But he has no clue what tone is and how to get it-manage it or shape it. ``The music he listens to is like hiphop-top 40 garbage with auto tune vocals and drum machines

3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

[​IMG]

FbIsNotE and Rendbontó like this.
  4. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Member

I get that people like what they like and don't want it declared gone while they're still enjoying it. There's just a drama to the objection that's unwarranted.

5. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions

why does it have to be one or the other?
    a player has a choice to make
    and a player has many choices to choose from these days
    one player may like tube amps
    one player may like modelers
    and yet again one player may have both
    who needs to know whether tubes amps are becoming obsolete or not?
    the OP proposes a very bizarre proposition and idea

somedude and Ray175 like this.
  6. Ray175

Ray175 Member

Why stop at musical media? What about guitars and amps? What? You don't like the idea of paying 75$ a month for your next Les Paul for the next 15 years? OK, you'll end up paying 13,500$ with nothing to show, but it's obviously so much easier on your wallet every month than buying one outright....... isn't it?

There's a sucker born every minute......

JPH118, HeavyCream and AuntieDiluvian like this.
  7. dogbone94

dogbone94 Supporting Member

I ain't depending on any sound man to give me stage presents. If I can't hear myself I will turn my amp up.

8. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

I’ve always wondered about the next generations and musical taste. I didn’t grow up in the 60’/70’s but I love Cream, Jimi, Zep, ect, just like many others my age. Even stuff much older. Kids in the 80’s were huge EVH fans. At some point they read an interview and realized their hero was influenced by Eric, Jimi, etc.

I know guys younger than me dig the older bands but how long will it continue? And, those among the younger generation that appreciate old school Rock, how many of them will have the desire to experience tube amps?

9. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

If I'm a good boy Santa usually brings me my stage presents.

10. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

They’ll take my EL34 Marshalls from my cold dead hands....

mody, Purpletele and AuntieDiluvian like this.
  11. JasonElGato

JasonElGato Member

I've gigged modeler-only into PA with iems. Did that for many years in a band where the owner/leader of the band was a crotchety anal guy who didn't want amps on stage fxcking with his mix.

I got tones that were pretty ok, they totally worked but I wouldn't call them inspiring.

What WAS inspiring was the simplicity and consistency. Drop the rack in the back, plug in a single xlr to foh and done. Any stage, any venue, any where, it sounded exactly the same. That waa really nice.

Now I use an amp for any gig where I don't need iems, which is 90% of the time. It's nice to have the digital rig when I need it but amp on stage will always be preferable

12. KelsterVonShredster

KelsterVonShredster Member

Really? Like this topic has not been crushed to death countless times???? Tube amps will never fade away....there are waaaaaay more new tube amps coming out than modelling devices I can tell you that....you can't beat the practicality of a modeler though and if I was gigging I'd probably go that route. But when I plug my 335 into my tweed deluxe I hear a certain magic that no modeler will ever give me...including a Kemper (I've owned a few, sold both). I like both modelers and real tube amps and will continue to use both. Why not have the best of both worlds?

13. effectsman

effectsman Member

Not much new in tube amps at NAMM I notice. Doesn’t mean the death of them, but maybe not as many builders spruiking new things.

14. Søren Bendixen

Søren Bendixen Member

Hi
    About the Carl Martin Ampster: Don´t know much yet, they are at NAMM now with the pedal (and other stuff), Simon Gotthelf (he´s in here too) might know a bit more. I guess it´s 9V because they have a method to "upgrade" internally to more V. I´ll talk to them when they get back.
    I have attached a link to a short video by Simon playing the Ampster and a photo. I have tried it a few times, also in the latest (Beta version I guess) and it sounds very good. But the thing about CM stuff (for me) is the sense/feeling/experience of "no distance" - the tone jumps right at you, so to speak. here is what Carl says:"a 100% analog tube-amp/speaker simulator DI.
    As simple to use as your own favorite amp, with the same controls, and a switch to select between an open or closed cab simulator".

And I will add: Although their amps are very low noise this pedal is no noise. and it has a nice break up in the tone, a bit more than their amps (I´ve got the Custom shop 50W head + CM 2x12 cab + a CM Roadie)
    Link to video:

facebook
    [​IMG]

The Rocket and blackba like this.
  15. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

That Matchless into a Suhr RLIR solves all of that. Real amp into reactive load and IR. Love the new modelling tech and used it for years but always felt that something was missing. Couldn't put my finger on it but it was there and it bothered me. Now its tube head into Suhr RLIR. Best of both worlds.

In Absentia and blackba like this.
  16. jrjones

jrjones Member

Never got to try that. I’d be interested to hear it, but I do enjoy have the all in one rig style where I can program scenes where everything changes at once.

17. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I don't gig anymore but I still feel that way. I run an HXFX into head into Suhr RLIR. Changes amp channels and effects with one press. Seems you are happy with the modeler though, and in a gig situation, I doubt the audience would know any different. Me however, sitting in front of my amp/modeler practicing, or jamming with buddies, tend to be more critical.

18. jrjones

jrjones Member

Yeah, you know I’ve learned that when I’m busy gigging things like that don’t bother me as much. And listening back to live videos the digital gear still sounds really damn good. There have been a few prince tunes I listen to and think “damn I couldn’t sound better with 15K worth of amps behind me” and my setup and tear down is way easier.

19. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Thank you very much for your reply! I will try to contact Simon Gotthelf and ask him about the power requirements. I already knew the video you posted and I liked the sound a lot...that's why I' interested in the Ampster. I think it should be what I'm looking for....I hope it will be available soon. Thanks again for your help.

Søren Bendixen likes this.
  20. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Member

The Human League said in the 80s "Keyboards will replace Guitar"
    They sounded like idiots & were proven wrong for 40 years now... you may now share that fate... & while Rap is the #1 genre of 2019, Rock was #2, Electronic was #3

When I follow a Band with a Modeller, they usually get the Amp thing.
    I have no problems recording with a Modeler & went down that road for about a year and a half, when I got to lugging an amp to get the feel from my AxeFX II on stage I realized I lost the Modeller Convenience...

I now have:
    Rock - Diezel D-Moll with either a 4x12 or 1x12
    Blues/Rock - Redplate Blues Machine Combo 1x12 & I can add 1x12 above for a bigger stage
    AxeFX II, ElevenRack for Studio Only, but still record with Tube Amps
    and my Pedalboard went all Analog

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    MkIII Renegade and mody like this.