• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Are any other guitarists as significant as Jimi and EVH?

dB

There are plenty of guitar heroes that are important to many of us guitar players and music fans...Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Zappa, Gilmour, SRV, Duane, Garcia...the list goes on and on. But have any of them really had the widespread impact that Jimi and EVH? Who else has been a gamechanger and completely shifted the understanding about what could be done on a guitar...and subsequently inspired thousands upon thousands of people to learn the instrument.

I'm having this debate today with some music friends.

Bucksfan70

There are plenty of guitar heroes that are important to many of us guitar players and music fans...Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Zappa, Gilmour, SRV, Duane, Garcia...the list goes on and on. But have any of them really had the widespread impact that Jimi and EVH? Who else has been a gamechanger and completely shifted the understanding about what could be done on a guitar...and subsequently inspired thousands upon thousands of people to learn the instrument.

I'm having this debate today with some music friends.
randy rhoads was just as significant because his playing crated neo classical.

i feel like the most important, and greatest, guitarists ever were:

1. evh
2. randy rhoads
3. joe satriani
4. jimi hendrix
5. jimmy page

jogogonne

He wasn't as innovative in a technical OR artistic sense as Jimi and Eddie, but I would argue Slash.

Between the actual guitar and guitar hero, the guy is a cultural icon.

I would guess he inspired as many people to pick up the guitar as EVH as his signature licks were actually somewhat playable...

Whether those people stuck with it or not ... a different story.

Don Vito

To me Eddie had the most impact. Look at all the rock players who took bits and pieces of his style and incorporated into there playing. Remember we’re talking rock players. Clapton, Duane, SRV were really not rock guitarists so you need to separate them from Eddie. Jimmy was great but if you took a poll of guitar players I would say most would point to Eddie as there main influence Over Jimmy. There are far more guitarists who picked up the guitar because of Eddie than Jimmy. This is my opinion, others will disagree but Eddie impacted so many players,

Trending Topics