• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Are any other guitarists as significant as Jimi and EVH?

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
Because he popularized new techniques on guitar. DG didn't do anything that hadn't already been done.
I don't agree. David Gilmour style and sound had and still have an immense impact on countless musicians of a wide range of styles.

the absence of special techniques (he actually used a lot of unorthodox techniques for making soundscapes and interesting sounds) is a trait of his style, his focus on melody, his being the opposite of a "shedder" is what made him so powerful and universally acclaimed.

I can't honestly can't say that his impact on the guitar community has been smaller than van halens one.

jackson

I don't agree. David Gilmour style and sound had and still have an immense impact on countless musicians of a wide range of styles.

the absence of special techniques (he actually used a lot of unorthodox techniques for making soundscapes and interesting sounds) is a trait of his style, his focus on melody, his being the opposite of a "shedder" is what made him so powerful and universally acclaimed.

I can't honestly can't say that his impact on the guitar community has been smaller than van halens one.
But he didn't break any new ground in terms of playing guitar. People have been playing with echo since Les Paul. DG is great, and has millions of fans. He's done great, but isn't among the elite, in my book.

jackson

Of course. The Edge is clearly the most influential guitarist of the last 30 years. His style is all over contemporary music across genres more so then Jimi or EVH really are.

One thing to remember we are over 50 years since Hendrix died and close to 35 years since EVH's commercial and creative peaks.
Influential, but not significant in terms of guitar playing. Only significant in his innovative use of delay pedals.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
But he didn't break any new ground in terms of playing guitar. People have been playing with echo since Les Paul. DG is great, and has millions of fans. He's done great, but isn't among the elite, in my book.
I understand your point of view but I don't see technique as important as you do.

To each one his own, as they say.

You're probably right, the OP is more about technique than everything else.

Droliver

Influential, but not significant in terms of guitar playing. Only significant in his innovative use of delay pedals.
That's just absurd as a distinction to try and make to me. He's the most copied guitarist stylistically since the mid 80's and he's the guitar sound of the preceding era (~ 1985-2000) to now.

That's not diminishing EVH and his technical brilliance, but The Edge style was the next major move in the instrument in the mid 80's after the shredders. In the evolution of the electric guitar in pop music he's at least as big a figure as EVH.

jackson

That's just absurd as a distinction to try and make to me. He's the most copied guitarist stylistically since the mid 80's and he's the guitar sound of the preceding era (~ 1985-2000) to now.

That's not diminishing EVH and his technical brilliance, but The Edge style was the next major move in the instrument in the mid 80's after the shredders. In the evolution of the electric guitar in pop music he's at least as big a figure as EVH.
We're just interpreting the OP question differently. I'm thinking in terms of guitar playing, and you're thinking in terms of delay pedal playing. I don't want to slag the guy, he's come up with some cool sounds, but c'mon man.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think we sholud separate the instrument from the tools/effects when talking about electric guitar.

we shouldn't give technique too much value too.
technique is only one of the several tools at disposal of the musician, is not something that makes music better or worse.

technique is neutral like any other tool.

what people listen to is the music made throught the sum of the tools used by the player, could be bare hands and dry clean sounds, distorted guitars shredding at high speed or soundscapes made with tons of effects.

evh might be the king of innovators in the technique department but not in the music department for sure.

musicians like tony iommi or Keith Richards, for example, had a much bigger impact than him.

so where we place evh in the top ten depends on the value we give to the music played compared to the act of playing.

I personally listen to the music and don't care how is made.

Last edited:

joebloggs13

I don't know if he has been mentioned, as this thread is getting quite long, but in the modern age I think Derek Trucks should be on the list. His slide playing is on a whole other level, when compared to others who play slide. Just an incredible talent.

Werepossum

I don't know if he has been mentioned, as this thread is getting quite long, but in the modern age I think Derek Trucks should be on the list. His slide playing is on a whole other level, when compared to others who play slide. Just an incredible talent.
I think he’s probably the best young player today. Sort of an admixture of Duane and Knopfler.

jtees4

Les Paul was the most significant for both guitar innovations and more importantly, recording innovations.

I would argue that Jimmy Page was equally significant insofar as LZ's debut record was just as groundbreaking and, like Jimi and VH, LZ spawned an entire generation of imitators. Some historians even like to credit LZ with fathering the metal genre itself (although I wouldn't go that far.)

Trending Topics