Are bass cabs w/ horns and PA cabs really that different?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by the(sims), Sep 28, 2008.

1. the(sims)

the(sims) Member

I was checking out the build of my Genz Benz NEO 112T bass cab the other day and I started thinking, "What is the difference in this cab and a full range 1x12" with horn/tweeter PA cab?" Eminence bass speakers are used in PA cabs, bass cabs, subwoofer cabs, etc. and a tweeter is a tweeter, so isn't a nice bass cab basically a nice PA cab? I've never tried my Genz Benz cab with vocals before, but I have used it with my acoustic and it sounded awesome.

What are your thoughts?

2. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

Not much difference, as far as I can tell. I have blown a cheap driver in a cheap wedge once, though. I replaced it with an eminence full-range driver and it's handled all PA/Bass signals flawlessly.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

they're close, but not the same. a typical full-range PA cab isn't made to take full-force 50 Hz pounding like a bass cab is, since the PA cab is usually designed to be paired with subs that handle everything from 100Hz and below.

the PA cab is also usually going to have a lot more output coming out of the horn than you want for bass, as they're made to crank full-range music with vocals, cymbals and all, and cover a whole room with it.

the crossover in a horn-equipped bass cab usually allows the whole signal to reach the speaker(s), just sending the highs into an adjustable horn to add extra sparkle if needed. a PA cab's crossover will actually take the highs out of the speaker as well as the lows out of the horn, so there's no fidelity-reducing overlap. having the bass's mids and highs carried only by a horn doesn't sound the same, and can be harsh-sounding.

4. the(sims)

the(sims) Member

Good explanation. Thanks.