are bass players gear guys too?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by raja, Nov 25, 2012.

1. raja

raja Member

It seems to me that guitar players want more guitars!
    I myself have more than the time to play....all the bass guys I've ever played with or met have a duece and not much more...am I mistaken or guitar players are more gear sluts

2. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

3. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Where we like a familiar shape in familiar wood with familiar finishes (usually), Bass players did the craziest, rarest, coolest looking woods...and a LOT of them on one Bass.

It all makes the world go round.

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

My experience has been that bass players are more looking for "the one" who's guitarists are more likely to choose different axes for different tones.

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

raja, I'm guessing that you are a youngster.

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Gold Supporting Member

Hard to generalize but I think so. Bass technology moves and stays moved a bit more than guitar technology on the whole.

Many more bass rigs have transitioned to primarily solid state power for instance. 30 years ago a five string was a strictly custom freak. Now its basic gear. Also enclosure designs are evolving more rapidly in the bass world, probably because of the easy audibility of the payoff, and the possibilities of weight reduction.

When I played bass and gigged a lot, I pretty much had to own a van, and it was filled with a 2 X 15" cab and a folded horn 18". That's what it took to do hard rock in those days. Now there are many more choices.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

think of it this way; a guitar made in 1959 plugged into an amp made in 1965 just might be the greatest rig ever, better in many guitar players' eyes than anything built today at any price.

the 1959 bass was certainly a classic and is still ubiquitous, but newer basses do way more, and bass amps in the '50s and '60s just sucked compared to today's stuff.

as such, new strides in bass gear are welcomed by bass players way more than guitar players.

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator ^/|\^ Co-Founder of TGP Staff Member

9. brokenvail

brokenvail Member

Yes they are in some ways more than us because they end up starting to buy other instruments not just basses

10. guitarsenal

guitarsenal Silver Supporting Member

I've played with the same bassist since 1979. In all that time, I don't think he has ever shown up at a gig with same speakers he used the one before.

11. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

hahhar, prezactly!

Though, I have to say, that as a bassist, it was a lot easier to find "the One" bass than it has been to find "the One" guitar. [For me, it's a Zon Sonus Custom 5]

I think that has something to do with bass guys / makers being a lot less traditional and open to designing player-centric axes

12. Gordon Branch

Gordon Branch Member

Bass players tend to be more open minded about unconventional woods and designs. Guitar players want to play what their dead guitar hero played 40 years ago, ,,,,,,,,,,

www.branchguitars.com

13. DRS

DRS Member

I love the new light SS bass amps out there. They're also very reasonably priced. One this, you never hear bassists complaining because their back hurts from their 11lb bass.

14. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    VERY TRUE!! I agree!

on the other hand, aren't you the guy that made THIS???
    [​IMG]

nice! :dude
    yeah - that's what the Robben Ford followers want! ;););)
    LIKE the adventurous designs! :)

15. Ros

Ros Silver Supporting Member

Our bass player really isn't - in fact he only owns one bass and one amp. I'm trying to corrupt him though.. I think in his case playing is more important to him than tweaking. I respect him a ton for that and I think he thinks I'm quite nuts. Now my harp playing buddy is quite another story! ;)

-R.

16. ourworldisgrey

ourworldisgrey Member

As a bass and guitar guy, I can definitely say that the difference is that bass players do go more for just more for "the one" instead of a ton for slightly different sounds. I know I do.