Are Boss/Roland in danger?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by leeislee, Mar 31, 2015.

1. leeislee

leeislee Member

Hi everyone. I was just wondering about the future for Boss/Roland in terms of guitar modelling/effects etc.

When i started playing 18 years ago i bought myself a GT-5 and it was way ahead of everything else on the market. I knew people who had Zooms, Digitech's etc but they didn't (to my ears) sound anywhere near as good. In fact back in those days Zoom were renowned for the fizz!

Moving on to last year i upgraded to a GT-100 and the difference is between that and the GT-5 is massive but i've noticed that a lot of musicians go down other routes. I love my GT-100 but it doesn't seem as popular as other similar priced units.

Do you think Boss and their dated COSM modelling are in danger of being left behind by the newer guys? (and even the old guys who've improved and evolved)

Aside from the improved sounds Boss have never really deviated from it's multi effects path. They're either on the verge of something great or becoming an old fossil who refuses to move on.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

It sure seems like they've been really reactive lately - haven't seen much from them lately that looks like a first . . . .

3. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

COSM is horrible. I won't consider buying anything that uses it. Until they move on from it Boss is on my pay no mind list.

4. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

They will probably come up with something new. Looking forward to the Line6/Yamaha thing as well at some point.

5. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

It's not that bad, my old Cube 60 sounds pretty freaking good, and has performed flawlessly for 6 years.

6. rsm

rsm Member

GT-100 is on my radar; works for Johnny Marr ;) I also dig Boss pedals (EHX as well), and I plan to get a new Cube 80-GX amp.

They seem to be doing fine from my perspective on the outside.

7. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

Completely agree. I've moved away from anything that has the COSM logo on it.

I think Roland is nuts in their pricing model. Their Blues Cube Stage and Artist are priced at $700 and $900 respectively. Their "GA" line of amps were originally priced in the high hundreds and I think the 212 was at a grand at one point. I have no idea why someone would buy one of their amps for those prices. Maybe half what they're asking is more reasonable.

I mean for the price of one of those you can get a nice valve amp or a Quilter.

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

There is a used GT-8 and a GT-100 up for sale at GC North Olmsted, OH.

9. db9091

db9091 Member

These units are pretty good at emulating boss effects if you like those. And the cleans are real convincing if you have a good guitar. My buddy sounds awesome on a GT-6 and I'm pretty snobby with my Kemper and all but if you got the chops, you can rock these things with pride!

10. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Marr only uses the effects section of the GT-100 if I'm not mistaken.
    Their effects are fine, their attempts at amp modelling though, the COSM stuff, just sounds like a harsh digital mess though IMO.

I used a GT-8 for just the effects and external dist/od in the effects loop, was a great unit for that.

11. gumtown

gumtown Member

the COSM thing is a moving target, it evolves with the ages, the latest stuff like the GT-100 (with firmware 2.03) and the GP-10 sound way better in the amp modelling than the GT-6 or GT-8.

Saying 'COSM is Horrible because I had a GT-6' 15 years ago, is like saying all current Zoom pedals are horrible sounding because there early stuff sucked with fizz.

12. randombastage

randombastage Member

I recently got a GP-10 and it is much improved over the amp sims from not too long ago. I was getting some sounds that were on a par with the
    Line6 PodHD stuff. And the guitar synth stuff it does is really nice now compared to previous VG and GP units.

I wouldn't say they are in danger but they aren't doing top teir amp sims and never were. They certainly rule their niche though.

13. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

Use my GT-100 all the time, get some great plexi sounds from it. And have a Blues Cube Artist on order. Whatever flips your skirt

14. Reverb Kick

Reverb Kick Member

If a GT-100 and an Amplifire were sitting on a table and you could take only one, which would you choose?

15. rsm

rsm Member

I'd take the GT-100.

Yes Marr only uses the effects into Fender amps IIRC.

I'd like to see a new true MFX without amp modeling from Boss that models their pedals only. Will not hold my breath.

If the Fractal FX8 lets me model my pedals that are not modeled "in the box" - I'm sold

16. joec63

joec63 Supporting Member

Easy for me. GT-100 . Because it's a known commodity. It's not a knock on the Amplfire but I know nothing about it. Not interested in changing what I have at this point.

17. randombastage

randombastage Member

I took the AmpliFire because want the best amp simulation I can get for the dollars spent but I can see hear why some people would go the other way.
    And depending on the nature of the music I was planning to make I would leave the AmpliFire at home and go play with the GP-10.

18. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

The GT-100 by a loooooong shot. Killer effects and loads of control at your feet.

19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

The biggest problem COSM modeling has is that some people think it's dates or static when in fact the COSM is just what Boss/Roland calls its modelling. Which is simply not true. The GT-100 is very different from previous GTs and is just one in a series of modeling versions/upgrades.

People online sometimes tell me COSM modeling is horrible, but that's not what I hear live and the bands I play in like how it sounds and my audience does too. So who am I to believe? My ears or someone I've never met?

Peace,

20. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I dont think Boss is really in the modeling game... too busy selling pedals.