Are Buffered Loopers suitable for Hi-Z Fuzz Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TEMAS, Mar 5, 2008.

1. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

Hi all.

I recently purchased a Musicom Lab 8-way Looper, which says it has a high quality input buffer. When I plugged one of my favourite (and expensive) fuzz pedals into one of the loops it sounded really wrong - something was just not right with it. So I looked in the manual and it said that if you have a fuzz pedal with a Hi-Z output connected to any of the first 4 loops then you should turn the buffer off. So I did this and now the fuzz sounds normal again. So I guess I just keep the buffer off.

I know very little about buffers and impedance but this experience has left me wondering whether any future loopers that I may purchase are better to be buffered or not buffered.

Has anyone else any experience or knowledge to share about this?

Cheers.

2. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

3. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

The Fuzzy Logic seems like a great idea, how does the fuzz react to guitar volume and tone knob changes when fed through it?

4. pgissi

pgissi Member

OD's/Dists/Fuzz are rarely complimented by Buffering which can mask the true character of this class of device especially the pedals with higher than normal input impedances, there is a purpose for this, its intentional

You could say its subjective but anything that deviates from the design intent, is not rendering what it would without buffering. In the case of this class of pedal that uses internal buffering like a TS, it may be less affecting, depends.

OD/Dist/Fuzz pedals are designed from input to output to couple (at the input) with your pups higher output impedance not the buffers lower impedance output and slight hi end emphasis.

I like the idea of the fuzzy logic and it provides several choices of modes to make an OD/Dist/Fuzz think its plugged in to different pups but be aware that it is also adding its own coupling into the signal chain, a deviation from the design intent in the pedal.

I would think of the Fuzzy Logic as more of an effect than a solution to eliminate the negatives of Buffering before this class of pedal.

Just be aware. Sometimes less is more, especially in the case of the low level high impedance signal from the pups.

5. TEMAS

TEMAS Member

Thanks for the information. I contacted Geoff at Barge Concepts about this and he said,

"Since blend circuits need to be buffered, we've designed a variable
    impedance circuit for situations and requests such as yours. While
    the signal remains buffered, the variable impedance control allows
    you to change the output so that it appears more like a passive/
    unbuffered signal. The variable impedance circuit can be added as a
    custom option to a VFB-2, or is available as a separate stand-alone
    pedal (with volume and gain controls, as well as the vari-Z circuit),
    the GLZ-1."

Which do you think is the best option?

6. pgissi

pgissi Member

I would go for it and get this, put that in a true bypass hard wired looper as an option, unless it alreadys a True Bypass box, probably is so its a no brainer