Are Carol Anns 6l6 of EL34?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by whoismarykelly, Jan 13, 2008.

1. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I cant seem to find any info on the tubes in these amps but everything suggests 'marshall-style' so Im guessing its EL34. Can you get one with 6l6s?

2. matte

matte Senior Member

34s. i'm running big bottle sylvania 6ca7s(34s) in my main carol ann. alan grew up around 34s and prefers working with them.

3. whoismarykelly

Hmmm. Ive had a few marshall style amps and they always felt a bit lacking in the high end sparkle that I like from 6L6s. Its probably just my taste in amps but would you say the Carol Ann is really close to a marshall or just sort of in that camp?

4. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I also usually prefer the sparkle of 6l6s. But I love the chiminess and huge bottom end I got from the el34s in my carol ann. Alan knows his stuff.

5. whoismarykelly

I really want to try one but I doubt anyone in the DC metro/tri-state area has one :(

6. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

disclaimer I am a good friend of Alan's who makes the Carol Ann's so Im biased.

There will be more at dealers than before, , you will have some a Fat Sound in NC, Lark Street in NJ I think and at some point you will probably see them in California and possibly CHicago, a dealer like Stu at Fat Sound and probably Lark Street will give you approval so your only out shipping in the rare event the amp didn't work for you. The OD2 is EL34, I use both in various amps, in the Carol Ann the EL34's work super, the cleans are incredible and you will not find them lacking in any way or missing the 6l6. Also depends on what you are looking for, fat huge cleans, great efx loop and a marshall crossed with dumble hrm in the gain channel is the vibe of the carol ann.

Hope this helps !

7. whoismarykelly

Ill need to try one at some point. I expect it would be different than the other amps I have had but they were more "hotrodded marshall" anyway and this seems pretty different.

8. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

Matte, Did you re-bias for these??? I have a set I'd like to throw into mine. Any luck with NOS pre's??? I haven't even opened mine up as I've been too busy playing my guitars through it!
    BTW- GREAT clips of the CA.....not sure if I'm more impressed with the tones or your playing.....either way, its all good!

9. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

You should rebias ! I have a set of mullard NOS just waiting for my CA to be finished !