Are Celestion Blues the only way to go with a Vox?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I've seen some good deals on vox's recently on ebay, but didn't know if the greenbacks would do or does it have to be blues.

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Depends on what you want to play, in part. My pal Vic has GBs in his, they sound great to me, quite bluesy (small "b"). Not nearly as chimey as the Blues but you can hear it's very much still a Vox.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

not the only way to go......but certainly the best way to go. ;)

4. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

Every vintage vox owner ive ever spoken to would say YES! Though a good substitute might be A) Weber Alnico Blue or B) Eminence Red Fang
    PS: Most hardcore vintage vox owners will tell you even the new Celestion Blues really are not the same vibe as the real deal Vintage Blue or Silvers

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
  6. zach5150

zach5150 Guest

I've read in several reviews that the red fangs sound nearly identical to the Celestion Blue at about 1/3 the price! Hell, leave one GB and put in one RF!!!

7. 908SSP

908SSP Member

But they are closer then all the rest. And to me the best. ;)

8. BPlexico

BPlexico Member

Chuck is correct.

9. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

+2

There are no substitutes IMO. I've had both new blues and multiple vintage blues. Once broken in, the ri blues definitely have the spirit no matter what the cork sniffers want to say. I have been A/Bing vintage and old blues the last couple of days... they sound closer than most people think... to this tin ear anyway. YMMV

<M

10. Damon

Damon Member

11. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

I like the 63 better on those clips..but thats probably cuz i like a flatter response I guess. The blue clip sounds "snottier" to me. But what do I know. In any event I dont find those two clips all that similar sounding. Im sure i'll be corrected on this if Im wrong but isnt that an apples an oranges comparison kinda..I didnt think those silver speakers you have in the picture were the same speaker at all as the early vox blue or vox silver, I thought those were a totally different speaker .. a 20W speaker that went in the bluesbreaker amps. No?

12. Damon

Damon Member

AS far as I've been able to research, the early 60's "G12" is functionally (if not cosmetically) the same as the original Vox Blue. Vox just had Celestion paint 'em blue and slap a magnet cover on... same cone, voice coil, magnet, etc... I've seen pics of early Vox amps with this same speaker, painted oyster hammertone, with no bell cover, sporting a Vox sticker where the Celestion one is. Selmer used them too, as well as the early Marshalls of course.

I tend to like the '63 better overall, too. Perhaps these clips don't do it justice, as it's a bit more of an overdriven tone, and the aggressiveness (and higher efficiency) of the RI steps forth. For playing more medium-gain stuff, the '63 to me is more vocal, with a shimmer that's a bit easier on the ears and a bit more "bloom". The Blue RI is still terrific though... and it can probably take more pounding.

13. Ldavey

Ldavey Silver Supporting Member

Just switched from greenbacks to the celestion Alnico blues in my AC30 RI, and played it for the first time over the weekend. Got to say that I've had the thing for about 10 years now, and I always liked the amp. But those speakers DO make a world of difference.
    Maybe it's because of the AC30's open back as I've read, but the amp is suddenly more responsive and musical. The vibe I was getting is that it now plays/feels kinda like a Fender; but it has this fine, fine Vox sound. Oh yeah; so very satisfying.
    Went to Avatar for the pair of new blues, and got a good price. And the blues are made in England these days.
    Can't say about the other speakers out there; have never done a comparison with Webers or the others.
    Larry