are current Gibson Es-335/345's using 50's or modern wiring?

dju

As the title says, are current Gibson Es-335/345's using 50's or modern wiring from factory?
I googled it but didn't find the answer.

unfortunately unlike on a LP where I can remove the rear cover to see the wiring on a ES guitar I can't do that.

thanks

Last edited:

Rossi163

Silver Supporting Member
And while we're at it, could someone please explain what exactly 50's wiring is and how does it differ from modern wiring?

Thanks

WickedPenguin

And while we're at it, could someone please explain what exactly 50's wiring is and how does it differ from modern wiring?

Thanks

Was the first result from a Google search for "guitar modern vs 50s wiring" :)

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question about current 335s....as noted, Google isn't nearly as immediately helpful.

yeatzee

I know 2016/17 Es345 reissues were wired modern using a stereo harness summed to mono at the jack.

Frankster

CS Reissues tend to come with 50's wiring. I don't know if there are exceptions to that in the past, but at least my CS Gibsons (one being ES-335) are with 50's wiring.

Reactions: C-4

Steadfastly

Perhaps the OP is merely curious, but....... if the OP is finding that the guitar is sounding a little darker than desired when rolling back the volume, and the guitar has modern wiring at present, then '50s wiring could help a lot.

How would that help? I am curious. Have you compared the two side by side with the same amp and same settings or seen someone who did or is this one of those angel dust theories?

Frankster

How would that help? I am curious. Have you compared the two side by side with the same amp and same settings or seen someone who did or is this one of those angel dust theories?

No angel dust; I've had humbucker guitars with modern and 50's wiring, in the same guitar even.

They're not far apart wiring wise (do a quick google); the tone pot is connected differently. In general, with modern wiring the tone gets darker when you turn the volume pot down. And you either like it or don't. If you don't like the darkening (I don't, in fact I hate it with humbuckers at least), a treble bleed helps.

50's wiring generally stays a lot brighter when you turn down, but there's also a funny interactive nature to volume and tone controls; modern wiring with treble bleed is a bit more straighforward.

I happen to love 50's wiring.

stephen78

No angel dust; I've had humbucker guitars with modern and 50's wiring, in the same guitar even.

They're not far apart wiring wise (do a quick google); the tone pot is connected differently. In general, with modern wiring the tone gets darker when you turn the volume pot down. And you either like it or don't. If you don't like the darkening (I don't, in fact I hate it with humbuckers at least), a treble bleed helps.

50's wiring generally stays a lot brighter when you turn down, but there's also a funny interactive nature to volume and tone controls; modern wiring with treble bleed is a bit more straighforward.

I love the interaction between the volume/tone with 50s wiring. I found that if I just set both the volume/tone on 9 on my LP it sounds like it slightly scoops some mids and retains clarity without a big volume drop.

ChickenLover

Silver Supporting Member
the tone pot is connected differently.
I think that part doesn't matter because it's just a variable resistance to ground. I think the difference in tone comes from how the volume pot is connected.

I generally don't like treble bleeds but do like 50s wiring. But I am generally a tone pot set it and forget it player. I typ only work the volume.

Frankster

I love the interaction between the volume/tone with 50s wiring. I found that if I just set both the volume/tone on 9 on my LP it sounds like it slightly scoops some mids and retains clarity without a big volume drop.

Me too. Dropping the volume to 9 takes you back a bit (regarding presence, I think it dips some midrange presence. 2k maybe?), and allows singer to wail on top. Still stays clear.

And turning the tone pot down from 10 to 5(ish) allows some thicker honk from the bridge..depending on the pickups of course.

supergenius365

Disclaimer: Not an actual supergenius
Silver Supporting Member
Last Gibson I had was a 2011. That had 300K linear taper pots and modern wiring.

EDIT: Just realized that was 11 years ago. Damn time flies.

Last edited:

budg

Silver Supporting Member

Yep. This is exactly how it works. I don’t care for modern wiring as it rolls off the treble when you roll off the volume pots .

budg

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe before you go arguing with people and insulting them, do a little research . Google is your friend . I’ve had both of those wiring schemes and they react differently with the same amp at the same settings . You obviously have nothing constructive to add . Maybe just sit this one out .

Steadfastly

Maybe before you go arguing with people and insulting them, do a little research . Google is your friend . I’ve had both of those wiring schemes and they react differently with the same amp at the same settings . You obviously have nothing constructive to add . Maybe just sit this one out .
I never knew asking a question was arguing. Is this something new?

I said I was curious and was looking for information on why what you said might be so. If you don't have the information or can't provide it, you can simple say so. You said you did, so why not provide your findings?

BenTobith

Tube Hoarder
Platinum Supporting Member
Unless they've changed, the USA line guitars have modern or 60s wiring and the CS line guitars will have 50s wiring.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
Can't you tell by the sound? No? Then I wouldn't worry about it and just play the durn thing.
Well there are questions and there are rhetorical questions . The OP is asking an honest question . I always want to know which wiring scheme in a Gibson if I’m buying one on line . They are different. Any person with knowledge of Gibson’s know this. Believe it or not your comments were not helpful as he was looking for people who have knowledge of present 335s, which you obviously don’t.

Steadfastly

Well there are questions and there are rhetorical questions . The OP is asking an honest question . I always want to know which wiring scheme in a Gibson if I’m buying one on line . They are different. Any person with knowledge of Gibson’s know this. Believe it or not your comments were not helpful as he was looking for people who have knowledge of present 335s, which you obviously don’t.
Let's not get into a slanging session here but I don't think you do either although you make it sound like you do. If you did, you would have answered my honest question and not got so hotty, totty about it. That is the kind of reply people give when they don't know the answer and can't back up their beliefs.

Oh, don't bother replying because I am through listening to you.

Top Bottom