Are current Mexican Fenders as good as US Fenders from 5 years go?

tktk

QC can be inconsistent on MIM guitars. I have two Baja teles and one is just perfect, better than CS Nocaster I had. Another one is still good but frets are slightly rough, so was disappointed a bit, but maybe the first one is just exceptionally good one.

LJOHNS

I put a MIM 60s road worn together recently. Used a MIM Robert Cray neck. Dropped in a set of pure vintage 59s and I am in love with it. I had a professional dress and set up done.
I have probably played over 100 different Strats off the racks over the years, even custom shops. I wouldn’t trade this parts caster for any of them. It’s that good and less than $1k all in.

fitz

I had a Mexican made Classic 50's in Daphne Blue 5 years ago or so. I also had my 57RI at the same time. Other than the finish, the guitars were indistinguishable while playing and the Mexi model sounded as good if not better then my AVRI. I would have no hesitation buying a Mexican model if I was in the market. The prices have creeped up, but still a great value.

24tracktape

They are not the same, different block and different baseplate.

Are the two-point brides on the Player Strats the same as the American hardware? The look exactly the same. I picked on up randomly to try out an amp and was really impressed with the sound and playability. I am thinking of getting one as a platform to upgrade. I have some extra Fender locking tuners and a set of Fralin Vintage Hots, and might invest in a Ilitch backplate to give that a try.

Also, interested in any firsthand experience of the differences between rosewood and pao ferro in practice? I think it looks good and I know its been used for a long time by boutique builders, and isn't necessarily a downgrade. Here is what Fender says, and what Warmoth says.

TylerE

I dunno if I'd compare to MIA, but I'm real happy with the Player's Series fretless Jazz bass I bought last year. It's exactly what it should be, nothing more or less.

NoBrakes

Things like cost of labor... things like no bi-flex truss rod, small details. Built as well if not better than those built in the 70s . I’ve had quite a few MIM Fenders...I’ve been happy with all of them.

JSmick

Thanks man! Sonic blue looks so good with a rosewood fretboard and mint green pickguard. The relic job was an afterthought actually because of imperfections in my refinish, I decided not to go too over the top because I normally hate relic'd guitars. You can see the primer in parts of the "dings" which is cool and I used cigarette ash to darken some parts of the wood. The aged screws are taken from a crappy old strat copy (my first ever electric guitar).

You are spot on - I am a huge fan of sonic blue (or any of the pastel colors) with the rosewood board!

Tzirfigu

I have a tele baja MIM and a eric johnson strat. To me they are both different but none is superior.

Yeah, the lacquer on the neck of the strat feels smoother (nitro) than the one on MIM, but quality and sound wise they are on par.

So at the end in regards to guitars (and this has been told a gazillion times here) the only way to know is putting your own butt in the store and playing by your self the guitar(s).

LaceSensor1

Silver Supporting Member
I have a new player series telecaster and it is a great playing guitar. The fret ends are not as smooth as my '15 am std. strat but its not an issues that affects my playing.

Also I've noticed the volume and tone pots on my player series don't spin symmeterically. They have an asymetric wobble to them. But this doesn't bother me as I can't "feel" it when playing.

bamalam

You are spot on - I am a huge fan of sonic blue (or any of the pastel colors) with the rosewood board!
I was torn between sonic blue and surf green!

Fender should do one of those relics that has sonic blue under surf green haha

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I picked up this Deluxe Roadhouse Strat used from GC - my first ever GC guitar purchase, for stupid low money. The guitar is one year old and displayed no use-wear at all. They shipped the guitar to the store near me, opened it up in front of me. Fit/Finish is flawless, no issues with frets, the electronics work as intended - it sounds like a very good strat. I got it for some of our more sketchy club dates, but after playing it a while, it's welcome at any country club private party. My other strat is a Suhr S-Classic (the avatar guitar), so there is that - the Suhr v60LP's sound better than the noiseless Fender pickups, but in the live band mix, no one on the dance floor could tell me I was not playing with real single coil pickups - it's a fun, comfortable, easy to get around on guitar to play. The big, post-CBS big headstock is growing on me.

PeterG

I have played so many Fender MIM guitars that I liked better than USA made ones. Only thing that I can find fault with (if I am nit picking) in MIM guitars is the rougher fret ends. Doesn't bother me.
On top of that the back of the US Fenders now says "Corona" - no thanks! :D

xmd5a

On top of that the back of the US Fenders now says "Corona" - no thanks! :D
Wait a sec, so it doesn't say "Made in USA"? That would certainly have to mean they're using so many imported parts that they can't legally label it as "Made in USA",

My main guitar is a MIM Player Tele in butterscotch bought new online from zzounds earlier this year. Previous Tele I owned was a road worn from 2009 so I can only compare the two.

Weight wise, the road worn felt like a toy compared to the Player. Player feels solidly built and has heft to it. Sounds great unplugged. Stock pickups sound great, just adjusted height to taste since I thought they were hot/loud from the factory and I like a more vintage tone.

Neck plays great and it looks amazing. It scratched every Tele itch I had and I no longer feel the need to buy anything more expensive down the line.

IMO, the current build is a great value. Couldn’t be happier. I sold the road worn, for what it’s worth.

PeterG

Wait a sec, so it doesn't say "Made in USA"? That would certainly have to mean they're using so many imported parts that they can't legally label it as "Made in USA",

I know, right? Why would they put the name of a virus on the headstock :D :D :D

Trending Topics