Are Egnater Amps More Reliable Now?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soundchaser59, Feb 2, 2015.

1. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Our local family owned auth'd retailer has started having some Egnater amps in the show room. I've sorta followed and read thru many threads over the last 2-3 years about the brand. Since I hate break downs and reliability issues as much as the next guy, I guess I let myself latch on to the fact that so many of the early Egnater owners seemed to have break downs and recurring reliability troubles with various models of Egnater amps. So I have stayed away.

But now that I've had a chance to actually play a few of them in the last couple months, I have to revisit the question. They absolutely have some killer sounds in them, at least the kind of killer sounds that I am after, and I was also spiked by reading that the guitarist for Chicago, Keith Howland, swears by them.

So with awesome sounds in them that are very close to my ideal "in my head" tones, I have to start asking again...... have they fixed their reliability issues? Is it still a 50/50 crap shoot with the brand? Or are the newer built amps more reliable and more gig worthy now??

2. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    If you decide to try an Egnator out, make sure the retailer offers a generous time period to try them out, like 30-45 days such as MF has.

It is a crap shoot with any amp from any company. Some parts are just reading good at the shop and fail soon after being played by a buyer.

3. soundchaser59

I can't completely agree with that statement, although I understand what you mean and why you say that. Let's just say some brands are way more of a crap shoot than other brands.....

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I think rumors of poor reliability may be exaggerated. None of the three I owned ever broke down on me.

5. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

This thread will attract all of the Egnater haters who post what they've read on the internet. Not actual owners.
    Do a TGP search. There was a batch of Tweaker 40 watt amps a year or two ago that had bad transformers. Some of them failed. They were mostly fixed by Egnater.
    That's pretty much all there is to it.
    You can google Marshall and find they had problems with certain models, same as Fender and all the others.
    Contrary to what will get posted here, their customer service people are very helpful and will get you taken care of.
    I owned a Tweaker, so my post is from first hand experience.
    They are very good amps and priced way below what they are worth.

6. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

This. They've made great amps going back for many years, with a bump in the road a couple years ago from some faulty components. That seems to have been sorted out for some time now, but the prices still reflect nervousness about the amps. You can get smoking deals on Egnaters at the moment.

7. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I'm an egnater tweaker owner. I've gigged this amp every Friday night for YEARS without a hiccup. The rest of the time it was literally bouncing around in the bed of a pickup truck. No case. No bag. It's a tough little mutha.

8. V-Type

V-Type Member

Same here.
    Owned A Tweaker 15,Tweaker 40 and a Tweaker 40 combo.
    A total of 3 years of ownership and other than a tube coming unseated from transport I have had nothing but reliability and consistently good tones.

9. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

If you search on google for Egnater and problems, you will find a lot of posts concerning power supply issues. I would be wary of getting a used one. For me the reliability issue was a deal breaker.

Honestly, Egnater are not bad sounding amps but not great either. Really, save your money for mesa, which Egnater tries to ape in terms of tweakability. Or if you just want a solid platform for pedals, there is always a fender or peavey, depending on your budget.

10. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

How can you be certain the amp you buy is not from that
    batch with bad power supply transformers? Are there serial #s to avoid? Did the manufacturer pull all the suspect models from dealers (and warehouse inventory) and update them? Amps can sit in inventory for 5+ years collecting dust and I personally don't want to be bothered with buying a potential dud , regardless how well current customer service is. Once a manufacturer starts seeing statistically abnormal failures they should notify dealers and recall the inventory and spare the customer all the grief..though the more saavy shopper will know the price is a dead giveaway something's not right as a 40W head such as the tweaker should sell for at least $1000-$1250 at your bigger stores.

11. kselbee

kselbee Member

I posted a question on here about a week ago asking about their presence at NAMM and Bruce Egnater replied personally and said they were there and they've spent the past year working on quality and reliability and have sourced better parts. I think many of the issues have been resolved. I've got 3 Egnaters and have gigged them quite a bit and never had one issue.

12. soundchaser59

This was to be my next question.......how do I know if I'm getting a newer one or an older one? Where to "draw the line" so I can be sure I'm not getting one that has been on the shelf long enough and may be one of the few remaining duds waiting to fail?

If I write to Mr. Egnater, will he understand why I am asking and give me an objective answer that helps me avoid any duds that might still be sitting out there? I'm not trying to offend the guy or diss his gear, and I readily admit that I fell into the "internet paranoia" chasm when the reports of failures were showing up. I've had my share of disappointment with used gear from Mesa, Rivera, Fender, Vox, etc.etc......so I figure if the problems have been addressed and removed from the market, and I really do like the sounds (better than I like any Peavey or new Fender or Carvin, for example) then maybe I can finally feel safe about grabbing a new one and gigging it.

I know it's not TGP Creed, but the brand does get a little love around here, and I really was impressed with the sound. Not for everyone, perhaps, but it was as close as I've come in a long time to getting the sound I hear in my head from a brand new amp sitting on a show room floor for well under $1000 bucks.

13. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

14. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

I went through a couple of Mesa amps, Nomad and F series, that left the factory with design flaws, the cheap pots for one, that I had to replace a bunch on both those amps. These amps failed me at gigs. I bought a used Rebel 30 about 4 years ago that has never given me any problem except having to swap out the crappy stock tubes.

15. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    This is another example of my statement in post #2.
    I am not brow-beating any individual company, but when parts work while an amp is being built and then fail after, you cannot blame the builder, if the part showed no signs of being a bad part. If it is a bad run of parts, then yes, I feel the builder should do what he/she can to resolve these issues as they occur.

Look at the players now talking about the problems they are having with the Fender RI '68 Vibrolux.
    Poo-doo occurs.

16. kselbee

kselbee Member

They really do sound great and have some really nice features (at any cost). The lower price really is a bonus. I bring an Electro Harmonix 44 Magnum as a backup in case my Egnater fails (I could plug a distortion pedal into the EH and that into a cab. But I've not needed it yet!

17. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

When I first heard of Egnater, they were a boutique amp company that was well respected and overbuilt their products, which were all made in the USA. Now, they seem to be more of a mass produced product built overseas.

Lots of followers of the modular line, which hasn't been supported by Egnater in years even though every NAMM he seems to tell someone a refresh is "right around the corner". With the exception of the Sweetwater handwired head that was out there for awhile, nothing they have done has interested me personally but to each their own I suppose.

18. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

I owned a Tweaker 15 combo (purchased new from GC) mostly based on rave reviews here. Unfortunately, after a few months it started to run frighteningly hot and kept burning out power tubes after a few weeks. The amp killed three sets of new Tungsol 6v6s, a set of JJ 6v6s, a set of EH 6v6s, and an NOS set of Ken-Rad 6v6s.

At one point I shipped it back to Egnater and they told me it was a biasing issue that they fixed. It did the exact same thing when I got it back. I finally got fed up with it and sold it "as is" to a guy who wanted to try to solve it. I have no idea what happened, but I took a big loss and came away very disappointed in Egnater.

19. clamflatslim

clamflatslim Member

my rebel 20 is da bomb 7or 8 yrs now.

20. glennscottharris

glennscottharris Member

I have a Rebel 30 and it's been a road warrior for about a year. No problems yet. Just wore out some power tubes.

A year is not a long time but it gets treated fairly rough. If it rolls for another year, it beats out everything else in the price range. I've busted several Peavey's, Fenders and Ampegs in less time.