Are Fender AVRIs getting more expensive?

1973Marshall

Ever since they were discontinued the Fender AVRIs seem to be going up, up, up. Whether a Jazzmaster, Tele or Strat they are now going for $1600-1800+ in my area.

This is surprising since the American Originals and Vinteras are not that far off. If anything I was hoping to snag an AVRI cheaper. Are they going up because the market wants to match AO prices, perception of "scarcity" since they are discontinued or are people unhappy with the newer reissue models? Is it a little of all three?

A couple of years ago I paid in the $1500 range for a AVRI Jazzmaster but only because it was the best one I had ever played. It felt like excalibur and I generally don't like JMs. At the time I felt like I was overpaying but now there are a couple in my area for $1600-1700. Go figure.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
We are 8 years out from Fender closing out of the AVRI line. In the case of jazzmasters Fender doesn’t really make a true vintage spec American model right now, now that the American Vintage line is out of production. If you want correct trem placement, 7.25 neck radius, etc you have to buy Mexican made and lose a rosewood board. So I think prices reflect the growing scarcity. $1600+ for white or black or burst AVRI seems bizarre to me beCause there were lots of those made, but fiesta red or Sherwood green (fender ran those colors for one year) or silver or ocean turquoise...since there are far fewer of those the higher prices are somewhat warranted. Two years ago I happily paid $1600 for a fiesta red AVRI jazzmaster. But I have an AVRI jazzmaster problem (I collect them now, I suppose) so that may be me.

There is a segment of society, with fewer activity choices but still plenty of available spending money, and since the NASDAQ looks good these folks in some cases are amusing themselves, buying stuff like this. All that money they used to spend in the hospitality sector.

The question is, can this trend hold? Or will the true level of destruction of the economy bleed out into more sectors, and sink them?

FMIC hasn't been making enough 7.25 radius, 6230 fretwire guitars for 8 years now. It is about time the demand yield a price increase. The thing to be on guard for, is a revival of 7.25 radius, 6230 fretwire guitars at the Ensenada plant.

Ab347

Silver Supporting Member
I agree. I was looking for a black 57 reissue..somewhat scarce. The ones I saw were not cheap. But I got lucky. I purchased a black 56 custom shop Strat....$1600....can’t beat that...

fjrabon

The weirdest thing to me is people went nuts for the wildwood AVRIs, but now all of the sudden it’s “these dang American originals and their stupid 10” radius and 6105 frets!”

61cygni

Glad I got my '62 AVRI when I did, also consider the Japanese Squiers, I got a '57 reissue Squier for cheap, and they also did '62 reissues.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
I agree with the sentiment of some, that we are in some kind of weird sellers market right now, prices on everything are stupid high. As it pertains to the AVRI series in general, it really depends on the model. I have a 72' Thinline AVRI, and I think the market on those is still reasonable, because it isn't for everybody. There are tons of 52' style teles floating around, which I think keeps the values down. I've seen various models from the 90's, where the sellers are smoking the hopium on those being the "good kind". I think once you get into the stuff that is a bit more rare, like 60's style strats and teles, in some of the pastel tones, you are legitimately paying a premium these days. Once you are getting into the higher range of prices, you aren't that far off from CS or for that matter a really good used boutique build.

IanRubbish

Gold Supporting Member
I got a Dave's Guitars 62' AVRI Strat on a trade for an amp. I have heard people say the Silver Sky is comparable to Custom Shop Fenders, and I traded my Silver Sky away because I though the AVRI was superior to the Silver Sky. I honestly get confused up in this price range with Fenders.

dazco

Have a look at classic series strats and teles. Since those were discontinued they now get listed anywhere fron what the were new to several hundred over that. It's idiotic. But like someone said, just because they are listed at that doesn't men they are selling. Used prices are just insane these days, but what is really crazy is when i sell things i put them in for far less than others are asking and have i hardly get a call. Maybe it's true what many say.....prices are so high these days that if you price yours what used to be normal, people are suspicious or figure it will sell b4 they get to it etc. I tested that idea recently and it worked ! Sold a squier for what would be pretty high and it sold in a day with to one of 2 interested parties.

Seems like there’s an overabundance of AVRI 70s Strats around here for silly money, are people still turned off by the 3 bolt neck?

Depends what you like. If you want something close to vintage spec the AVRI models will get you most of the way. If you like vintage looks, a big fat neck, nitro finish and hardware but prefer the enhanced playability of taller frets and a flatter radius, albeit not much flatter, the American Originals are the obvious choice. I bought my AO50s Tele for that reason; the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Hawk3y3

I was looking the other day - they are 400 - 600 quid more than I bought my AVRI 59 strat for
I’d love to get my hands on another to go with my Sherwood green - in sonic blue - but that’s probably not gonna happen

zombiwoof

Silver Supporting Member
I don't want 9.5" radius garbage. I want real reissues.
Closest thing these days is the Vintera series, but no nitro on those. I'm hoping they will at some point offer a nitro finish option on them, as they did for the Classic series that the Vinteras replaced. It would be nice to get a real rosewood fingerboard at the same time.
Al

Trending Topics