Are Fender Tweed Deluxe reissues any good?

skunizzi

Hi Guys,

If you've read my last post you know I am looking at possibly buying or building a tweed deluxe amp. I've noticed that may people who are considering an amp like this opt for other clones instead of an actual fender re-issue? I am wondering why this is? Are the Fender version not very good anymore?

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
they're killer from my guitar center noodling. i read up on the fender tweaks though, so i would know what i was listening to...

the "call-in order" musician's friend 20% deal makes them more accessible...i have fed ex bringing my edge model tomorrow, which was a zzounds resealed box discount.

fwiw, the emporium has one for $1600, and reverb has the 2007 model for $1400 if i remember right.

Last edited:

Bertiman

I haven't played the deluxe, but I own a twin. They are fine amps. To my mind, when discounted, they represent a better value than many of the clones.

neteraser

Because people believe boutique guys do a better job keeping authenticity of the circuits, which actually could be true, but people like me still think it's hard to beat Fender. You'll have to figure out on your own. Actually boutique guys could do a great job too. It will depend on what you're looking for in the sound.

Last edited:

rusty

I own a guitar & I'm 3° from Kevin Bacon
Silver Supporting Member
in one of the other threads you mentioned lazy j...did you get to play through one???

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
I've been looking into getting a custom made amp. Believe it or not I can grab one for only a few hundred more than a mass produced amp off the floor.
And I can get it made to my specs. With external bias balance ports. Speakers of my choice. Ptp wiring. Wattage and tolex to my liking and a half dozen other tweaks.
So why buy one off the floor and sound like everyone else at jam night.

Axis29

For me it was all bout price.

I played an EC Tremolux (close, but not exactly what you are talking about) in a store and absolutely loved everything about it but the price! I rarely buy new amps (Can't afford them). So, I am always on the lookout for a deal. The Fender's hold their prices well... Some even buying used was a tough call.

I had been eyeing a few builders, especially David Cox (until his untimely death). A year or so later, I lucked into a trade for one of his Ultimate 5e3 amps. I will say that the wiring is some of the neatest, most anal I've ever seen. It's artwork all by itself. I don't see that coming from Fender. New, his Ultimate 5e3 was less expensive than Fender. In the trade deal, it was well worth it for me.

Silent Sound

It's funny how people buy boutique 5E3's because they're "better built". Have you guys seen a real 5E3? Not a modern repo. They weren't made with top quality parts nor super crazy attention to detail. In fact, the design itself is heavily flawed and the construction mirrors that. They're the classic case of two wrongs making a right.

In any case, I'm not saying that you should buy a boutique, Fender reproduction, or an original. Get the one you like for the reasons you like it. I'm just saying I find it funny how people judge the quality of a clone with such scrutiny when the quality of the original is so much more marginal. They weren't Supro bad, but the tolerances and wiring of those original 5E3's weren't nearly up to standards of today's mass produced, name-brand, PCB amps that people love to turn their noses up at.

Personally, for the money these amps tend to command, and considering how simple of a circuit these amps implement, my preference is to either build it yourself, or buy one off of a hobbyist who built one. That's the cheapest way to get one. Just in the later case, play it first to make sure it sounds good, and maybe open it up to check the soldering. A hack will usually expose themselves with poor soldering joints. But you don't need to be an EE to build an amp this simple. Just someone who can read a schematic and solder large components (which is pretty easy).

Broomz

I love my Fender '57 Deluxe with a passion. Paid $1300 on Reverb. Have a Victoria tweed super too. It probably has more "attention to detail", for what that's worth. It's a nice amp, but it's not any better than the Fender.

Kevi

I love my Fender '57 Deluxe with a passion. Paid $1300 on Reverb. Have a Victoria tweed super too. It probably has more "attention to detail", for what that's worth. It's a nice amp, but it's not any better than the Fender.

Let me know if you ever wanna let go of that Fender 57

Kevi

I've got a Dr. Z Maz 18 Reverb that I love, but I've been craving a 57 Deluxe for a while now. Really wish I could play on locally but that hasn't happened. I've read lots of great things and would like to get my hands on one eventually.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom