Are Fenders getting Timbuckers in them?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BadAssBill, Feb 20, 2015.

1. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

2. InkStained

InkStained Member

Yes, two Strats have what Fender calls "Shawbuckers" -- and American Standard model and an American Deluxe model.

Funny thing is, Shaw has been working for Fender for a while, years, according to one guy I've heard. I don't know why they're playing up his role with the company now.

I am curious about those humbuckers, I have to say.

3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

While Fender's single coils are stellar, their recent humbuckers have been bad. This may help them make better pickups and it helps letting the people know that these are not like their other recent humbuckers.

4. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

What about Bobbuckers anyone make those? I bet those would sound great in a Strat.

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

"Timbuckers" were the name of boutique pickups that were once wind by a guy named time white.

Tim shaw is a different guy (of gibson fame) and shouldn't be confused with Tim white.

Just a clarification here...

6. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Ah...that's right, sorry.

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

For now it's just those two HSS Strat models (American Standard and American Deluxe); it doesn't appear that any other Fender Strats with humbuckers are getting them. Plus they still have the older models on their webpage. I would assume the Shawbucker models are replacing the older ones, and the older models will drop off the website once Fender has shipped them all out of their warehouse.

8. Heritage 80

Heritage 80 Member

I swapped out my Shaw's for Tim White's "Timbuckers" back in circa '03and haven't looked back. It's a shame that Mr. White stopped making them or didn't pass his secrets on to a successor.

9. doc

doc Member

I've also enjoyed my Timbuckers from Tim White. Although there was no direct "passing of secrets" AFAIK, I'd say the mantle for this style of pickup has been passed to David Plummer of Zhangbucker with his "Pure Handwound" line.

Don't know anything recent about Shaw's stuff, but he did a good job on the early Shaw pickups within the design constraints he had. Apparently the '57 Classic was a similar story for Gibson and Tom Holmes - the pickup he wanted to make was altered to fit a price point and wasn't the pickup Tom would have wanted it to be, but it still turned out pretty good. Hopefully the new "Shawbuckers" will allow Mr. Shaw more latitude to make the best pickup possible for him to make. People into the PAF scene will at least have heard of him, so I guess Fender has decided that his name will be a good marketing point to draw some customers.

10. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

$$$

I'm taking a wild guess here but I bet they sound like humbuckers

11. still.ill

still.ill Member

more to it than that....

1. the Std HSS models have a much wanted 250/500 pot setup where the humbucker gets 500k, but the two SC's get 250k.

2. The bridge PU is unpotted

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

+1

That's a lot to expect from a pup swap!!!:banana

13. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Correct.

The thread title really freaked me out. Timbuckers are a completely different product.

14. Zhangliqun

Zhangliqun Member

They're not exactly the same, but they were definitely an inspiration for me.

DaveLizmi likes this.