Are flame tops corny?

OutterLimits

Don't judge a guitar by its cover. Flame or no flame, if it has the mojo, you play it, you own it.

I would never buy a 10K guitar that is special reserve wood etc etc. I have to play the things, not enough money to collect them. So no plaid shorts for me. :(

MKB

Gold Supporting Member
I personally prefer tan pants with my flamey top guitars, makes the grain pop.

Come to think of it, every one of my main guitars (including acoustic) have flame on them somewhere. As much as I adore flame top LPs, flame necks are a close second. And if the flamed wood isn't roasted or on a Gibson acoustic, it must be cherry sunburst. There should be a constitutional amendment about this.

If you don't get a visceral thrill when looking down at a flame maple neck you're playing, you really should have your emotions checked.

Reactions: C-4

Arc Anjil

I don't care for quilt-tops, but I can respect a well done burst, specifically a teardrop burst. My Epi LP is a nice honeyburst.

The Funk

If you don't like it, thats cool. Personally, I find beautiful wood beautiful. I only have one flametop guitar, and I got it when I was 13. But, I'm going to build a few, and some of them will definitely have flamey tops.

viper jazz

Flame tops make me feel like I'm playing my grannie's cabinet for her china. I feel like I'm gonna break something.

singlecutarmy

Nothing corny here in my opinion...
I'd say a good ol' flametop Les Paul is a lot less corny than any of the guitars shown below, which is just a small sampling of the hundreds of corny guitars currently available from Musician's Friend

Excuse me take back what you said about the ESP EII FRX. They're one of the few pointy guitars I find very appealing.

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
Black or tan (and also plaid or paisley) cargo shorts RULE!!!!
But only in hot weather, I can't understand why some guys wear them in cold weather...

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Me so corny!!!

If you are offended by flametop LP Customs, LOOK AWAY NOW!

That way you won't have to see a 17 year old, 10 lb. tone beast with a fat neck that just happens to have some nice maple on top. Sounded so good Friday night. Nothing like a great LP Custom, IMO. I'm a big Mick Ronson fan---looked for a plaintop natural custom and got a great deal on this back in 2003. It has some battle scars now.

JonSick

I've never really liked figured tops; there's only a few exceptions being Gibson or Fender bursts (only some). Everything else looks like I'm wearing a christmas tree.

I dunno; I just like solid finishes. Pretty much anything apart from black.

Trending Topics