are flangers, phasers and choruses in the same family?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by heavysoul, Jul 29, 2008.

1. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

I have an ibanez FL99 flanger and a HBE Psilocybe phaser. would getting a chorus be redundant in the swirly dept?

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

no I think they all have their own thing going on. I own a DOD FX chorus set up for leslie sounds, a phase 90 that I am constantly tweaking and I just got a ADA Flanger that I am going to make room for on the board. The ADA can cover most of this ground but it is nice to have them pre-set. And on top of it all my amp has tremolo. So I guess I have them all. I think you are going to be told a lot of things, but my take is if you have room then what is the harm, I also have 3 dirt pedals on my board and a gain channel on my amp... variety is the spice of life.

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Some flangers can get very phasery and some choruses like the AnalogMan chorus can get very flangey but they're all different effects. Chorus and flanger are closest because both are delay based. Chorus uses a longer delay time and usually doesn't have a feedback loop to keep it pretty and subtle. Flanger uses a shorter delay time which adds to the metallic sound and has a feedback circuit to enhance the swirl. Phasers use an LFO to sweep stages that are out of phase with the input which makes them more filtery and vocal compared to the more raw sound of flanging.

4. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

The flangers Im familiar with will do great chorus.Phaser is a whole other thang.I would say your flanger will probably give you a chorus that you'll
    like more than some dedicated chorus pedals.Just get a good cheap MXR Phase 90 and be done with it.A lot of the boutique phasers are too over the top for real musical sounds and they cost a lot more.

5. 4styx

4styx Member

If you had a Retrosonic chorus you'd be set.It's different enough from what you have and you'll have Vibrato.

6. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

depends on the flanger. some flangers can do a good chorus, but most can't get long enough delay times, so the chorus will sound flangey. the boss bf-2 is one that can do a good chorus.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I think it depends on your style.
    Sure...you can collect the whole set and soon you'll have a pedalboard w/ its own zip code. Are you trying to cover American Idol?
    Last week someone wanted to know how to downsize their rig. I think 1 swirly pedal is plenty. That, to me, is a way to cut down; then again I think 2 distortions is excessive.
    Of course I mostly play clean and add the flange for effect. I suppose if you mostly play with a chorus sound then adding a phaser would provide variety.

8. JaxMusicSupply

JaxMusicSupply Member

They are separate effects.. but related! Tremolo is also related. With a little know how, you can modify these effects to each other. That said, if you like the sounds you need to have all three. Some are really over the top. The Fender Phaser and the Dano Psycho Flange come to mind. Personally, I stick to chorus for most situations.

Best,

Jack

http://www.JaxMusicSupply.com

9. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I feel like they're all different. Phaser and Vibe have some similarities though the authentic ones are distinct.

10. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

i just think of the Deluxe Memory Man. it has chorus, vibrato (that can sound more like a flanger) and delay. the reason why those three (or 4) effects were chosen were because they are so closely related. as said above, a phaser is a different animal. i have an ADA Time Effects rack coming that has a flanger, chorus, doubler and delay in it - again, all 4 picked because they are time delay related.

11. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

How? A trem is purely volume modulation. Chorus and Flange both involve delay and sometimes pitch modulation, and phase is completely different altogether.

12. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

lmao, I made lola's sig!

give me 2 phasers, a flange, a chorus, a univibe AND a leslie sim! you can never have too much! NEVER!!!

:Devil

13. bisticles

bisticles Member

They're in the same family, but the flanger is that weird uncle who you only see every 5 years, each time with a different wife, the phaser is your brother who made a lot of money in the late 90s on the dot-com bubble, then had to move back in with Mom & Dad, and the chorus is the snobby cousin who refuses to talk to either of them because she doesn't want to be seen as being low-class.

edit: But seriously, they're all modulation-based effects where there's some sort of pitch shifting and oscillation going on. I've definitely heard phasers that get into chorus territory, flangers that almost sound phaser-ish and etc. I might be interesting to explore the differences and similarities between them.

14. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Yup.

15. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Phase, flange, chorus, tremolo and vibrato/pitch detune are all modulation FX. The major difference is what is being "modulated" (changed over time).

Chorus mixes a dry signal with a signal whose delay time is being varied from say 10ms - 20ms. The delay typically has NO repeats.

Flangers are very similar to chorus but the delay range is usually shorter (1-10 ms). The distinguishing characteristic of flange is that the delays have repeats usually called resonance or regeneration. These repeats give flange a tuned resonance or tone which changes with delay time - hence the jet plane whooshing effect.

Phasers split the incoming signal several times (up to 8 or more) and then modulate the phase of each split before being mixed back in with the dry sound. The changing difference in the frequency response of each split signal is what gives the phaser its unique sound.

The univibe is a phaser which has a unique uneven wobble to the sound caused by the special circuit (photoelectric) used to modulate the phase.

Tremolo is simply volume modulation. Of course it gets more interesting when you add the ability to determine the frequency, shape and depth of the wave. When the frequency of volume modulation gets into the audible range (say 1000 time/second aka 1kHz) you get something resembling a ring modulator.

Vibrato is pitch modulation. Very small pitch modulations mixed with a dry signal can sound like a chorus effect. Modern harmonizers usually have a stereo patch that mixes a dry signal with one that has a modulated pitch detune applied (plus or minus 1-5 cents for example) and then is slightly delayed and panned left or right. This creates a lush stereo effect from a mono source like a vocal.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  16. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

Now that is the way to answer this question. Nice job!

17. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

Electronically, only flanger and chorus are closely related. Like fr8 train said, they're basically the same with the distinction that the delay times are different and flangers add repeats to that.
    Phaser and vibrato can be done within the same circuit by changing the feedback path (some pedals have a switch for this), so you could say they're related also.

All of them have LFOs (low frequency oscillators), including tremolo.

18. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

You could also say that chorus, flange/phasers, and delays are all time-based effects and part of the same family. If you want to do a simple experiment and have some kind of recording software, record a track and duplicate it. Nudge the 2nd track forward about 10-20ms and you'll get chorusing. A bit more, and you'll hear flanging/phasing. A bit more than that, then you get a noticeable delay.

19. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Theyre all modulation pedals.

20. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

You basically have two categories—time-based fx (chorus, delays, flange/phasers, any other modulation) and Dynamic effects (EQ, Compressors/expanders, gates, etc.)