Are Gibson 335's Les Paul killers?

jlb32

Just thought it might be a fun discussion.

I've heard this stated by several popular musicians, even though they seem to love both, so I've been comparing my Gibson 335's to my Gibson Les Pauls alot here lately.

I love both models to death myself but after comparing them the 335's obviously sound better unplugged acoustically, they seem to sound better amplified clean and amplified with distortion they seem to hang with the Les Paul tonally.

What's your take on the 2 in comparison?

jlb32

335 rocks!! They have that open woody hollow tone. But for straight up rock or harder rock there is no substitute for a Les Paul!!

I agree but I think 335's can do rock and harder rock very very well. Maybe a slightly different flavor but they still do it extremely well.

The Cornell 335 in my avatar is a beast at heavy rock even though it does sound somewhat different than my Les Pauls playing the same style.

still.ill

i had a es-335 that i sold after i got my lp faded because it just couldn't do the low E palm mute thing as well as my LP....

enharmonic

Chairman of the Bored
Platinum Supporting Member
My R9 sounds different enough from my 335 to warrant having both, but IMO, the 335 is the best guitar that Gibson makes.

My R9 is likely the best Les Paul I'll ever own, but if I had to choose, I'd keep the 335. I'm sure many others would do just the opposite, though.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
No way. Need to plug into a cranked Marshall at stage volume to seriously appreciate the full difference between those 2. There's a darkness in semi-hollows that I can't get past.

Matt L

No way. Need to plug into a cranked Marshall at stage volume to seriously appreciate the full difference between those 2. There's a darkness in semi-hollows that I can't get past.

But full-bore, all-out cranked rock is just part of the equation, and maybe not even part of the equation for some players. A solid-body LP is certainly gonna hang together better under those conditions, but that a 335 can even give a respectable showing is pretty impressive. I also love that edge-of-feedback thing they do.

Guitarworks

I think if there is one Gibson that is capable of stealing the Les Paul's thunder with impunity, it is the 335. Those Gibson players who say they've never gone back to a Les Paul have usually defected because of a 335. So for them, yes, the 335 is a Les Paul killer, and justifiably so.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
But full-bore, all-out cranked rock is just part of the equation, and maybe not even part of the equation for some players. A solid-body LP is certainly gonna hang together better under those conditions, but that a 335 can even give a respectable showing is pretty impressive. I also love that edge-of-feedback thing they do.
Sure, agreed. What I was alluding to is that at bedroom volumes, many double HB 24.75 scale guitars will sound very similar, even if they feel very different to play. At higher volumes the difference is more noticeable IME

Ncp10

Not really. They're actually quite similar

Apples and oranges:

"A comparison which is just as easy to support as it is to contest"

"Something which is both the same and different simultaneously depending on your point of view"

I guess the player in question would be the judge.

jvin248

I'd expect them to sound the same, provided the pickups and pots/caps are the same. The SG neck pickup, not shown here because I didn't think about including it and due to the long workaround to get images embedded here I'm not going back, is more of a middle pickup tone.

T0Tgq6H.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom