Are hi gain SS amps quieter than hi gain tube amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by docgorpon, Feb 6, 2008.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Assuming that the gain is dimed on both of them?

2. alaskagrown

alaskagrown Member

It really depends on the quality and the state of repair (or disrepair) the amps are in. If they're high quality and in great condition, both will be dead silent. However, if they're old/dirty/well-used or have shoddy wiring, both can be noisy. It's not a matter of tube vs SS.

3. booj

booj Member

What does dimed mean? The only way to achieve high gain is through the use of hiss, which is the smoke in the wire under high pressure. Solid stae amps operate at a lower voltage, so they use thicker smoke. Tube amps use thinner smoke, but at a higher voltage. This makes the smoke go faster. Either way you get the same volume.

4. 10-top

10-top Supporting Member

If you mean quieter as in less volume then yes a ss will be quieter than a tube amp of the same wattage

5. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I'd say that yes, in general, high-gain tube amps tend to be noisier that high-gain solid state amps that put out similar volumes if both have their volume knobs (especially their master volume knobs) wide open. That has been my experience anyway, including with new amps by brands like Mesa and Rivera. There are probably exceptions, though.

6. PFCG

PFCG Member

put a 100 watt high gain head wide open next to a high gain 100 watt solid state head wide open using two of the same cabs and you be the judge.

Also ill **** myself if you would like the solid state one more.

The tube head will surely drown the solid state head.

7. freaksho

freaksho Member

yes probably, but once you add the drums, bass and cookie monster the tube amp's noise floor noise is drowned out. so it doesn't matter.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

In my sons band, metal-like, the guitarist had a Randall...solid state.
    It "SHUSHHH"'ed so loudly at his settings that they couldn't communicate between songs...seriously, I have NEVER heard that much white noise out of any (tube or transistor) amp before...the gain was dimed.

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I played with a kid that had one of those SS Randalls - sounded like a 747 during taxi.

10. myles111

myles111 Member

There are way too many factors here that would not allow a simple answer to this question but at the bottom line ... tubes generate self noise and semiconductors do not to the same extent in specific applications.

Carbon comp resisitors generate more noise than metal film resistors too as a bit of side info.