Are humbucker covers pretty much all the same size?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 73Fender, May 13, 2015.

1. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I have Gibson, Duncan, Bare Knuckle and Wolfetone humbuckers in various guitars and some not installed. Some are uncovered, some different finishes etc. I have considered doing some swapping and was wondering if they are all pretty much interchangeable? Or do the different builders use different spec covers?

If there are differences out there, are there any brands with covers that are known to be interchangeable? Thanks.

2. c_mac

c_mac Member

Gibson bridge humbuckers have wider spacing than some humbuckers. I'm not sure if a trem-spaced Duncan is the same but I know I've had standard Duncans in the past and they are not spaced as wide as a Gibson bridge humbucker.

3. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

No.
    50mm, 53mm, foreign, domestic, etc.

4. dju

dju Member

I'm not a pickup cover expert but the only thing I know of that might be a problem is the pole spacing. If I recall correctly there are 50mm and 52mm spacings that you might need to be aware of.
    This is not a problem but from what I also understand is that some vendors might be more vintage correct depending on how rounded the edges are. But again that is purely cosmetic.
    One last thing is supposedly some covers will attenuate highs more than others and this is caused by the materials the cover is made of.
    I use Gibson covers when I add them. From what I understand they are supposed to be one of the better ones at not attenuating highs. Maybe not vintage correct but they work.

I'm sure somebody with more expertise on this subject will correct me if I am wrong about any of this or add to it.

dj

5. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Thanks guys, I'll either break out the mechanic's ruler or put off the swapping and actually play the damn things.