Are JHS Pedals Inherently Loud?

treeuh

Crackle, buzz, loud hum depending on the direction I'm running first (MG side -> TS, vice versa)...

The title just about says it all, but for backstory: I bought a Double Barrel recently (low-med gain dual pedal). I run my board off of two OneSpots-- one for the digital delays, etc. and one for my overdrives--, and for whatever reason, the second that I turn on the DB I get a nasty hum, hiss, and/or crackle.

I've heard friends say that the JHS stuff is just loud like that... which really sucks because the pedal is actually really great apart from the noise. I've tried running it off of just one OneSpot with nothing else in the daisy chain, and there was the same noise. Should I try a completely different power supply? I just don't understand why my Menatone and ZVex stuff works perfectly silent while the JHS is loud... I e-mailed JHS but haven't gotten a response yet.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
In my limited experience, yes. I tried one of their medium-gain overdrives (don't recall the model name at the moment), but my impression was that it had more "noise" than any other OD pedal I've tried. Too bad, because I really liked the sound of the pedal. Good news is there are enough other options out there. FWIW, on stage in a loud club it's doubtful anyone would ever notice the added noise. In a bedroom or recording setting, though, it is quite noticeable.

cookedbutok

I have heard of this before, but my MG is quiet. Very quiet. The stomp clicks a little loud, but that's all.

treeuh

I hope it's not a dud because I'm in Australia, and I know they'd want me to mail it in... ugh... I just hope they can sort it.

Bman20

Silver Supporting Member
i tried a v3 morning glory and pulp n peel, they were both kinda noisy. Very sensitive to power supplys for some reason; killer units tho

tronus

Like these guys are saying, try an isolated power supply. If you have an old 9 volt wall wart laying around, give it a go. Try the pedal alone with a wall wart. I find certain pedals are picky about being on a power daisy chain.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
Had a few JHS pedals. None were noisy. As was stated, it's either your power or something is wrong.

treeuh

Sorry you are having issues. Our pedals are designed to be super quiet so there IS an issue. My guess is that it is power, people who do not power isolated will hear noise. You can read about that here if it helps: http://www.jhspedals.com/tech-articles/#power

If it is broken or something like that we have you covered under full warranty. Email repairs@jhspedals.com

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much, Josh. I'm going to try it through my friends Fuel Tank Chameleon. If there's still noise I'll be in touch. Love your guys stuff- my mini foot fuzz is boss.

lilballer30

When I plug it in and turn it on it only gets louder!the tone on it works just the distortion doesn't.. Can somebody helps me ?

tlpruitt

Crackle, buzz, loud hum depending on the direction I'm running first (MG side -> TS, vice versa)...

The title just about says it all, but for backstory: I bought a Double Barrel recently (low-med gain dual pedal). I run my board off of two OneSpots-- one for the digital delays, etc. and one for my overdrives--, and for whatever reason, the second that I turn on the DB I get a nasty hum, hiss, and/or crackle.

I've heard friends say that the JHS stuff is just loud like that... which really sucks because the pedal is actually really great apart from the noise. I've tried running it off of just one OneSpot with nothing else in the daisy chain, and there was the same noise. Should I try a completely different power supply? I just don't understand why my Menatone and ZVex stuff works perfectly silent while the JHS is loud... I e-mailed JHS but haven't gotten a response yet.
Try powering the Double Barrel with a battery but leave the other pedals powered as is and and see if you get the same noise.

Trending Topics