Are JTM45s mushy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guit_lar, May 20, 2011.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Hey Alex
    What do you recommend as far as clones go?

2. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Thanks Alex. I've been using fixed voltage regulators. It's probably time for me to get a Variac.

3. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

In the mid 1990's I ordered a BB reissue and it lasted for a set at a gig - it sounded good in the house but farted out on me with the band - didn't have the headroom and it became mushy when pushed. These are only 30 watts.
    Same with the head version 2245 - excellent amp (30 watts), Drake transformers, good tubes - sounded good but became way too saturated at the gig volumes. I didn't get it when people said there was so much clean headroom - for me this is only at low to mid volumes - it is a very nice amp for many applications, just not mine. I got way more clean headroom out of the 1987x with the bright cap removed or 100pf instead of 4700pf.

HOWEVER - my JTM 45/100 Hendrix head (Super 100JH) is the cleanest biggest sound I've ever heard.

I think it depends on the 30 watt tube rectified vs. 100 watt solid state rectified...
    For me: JTM45 (30 watt/tube rec) becomes mushy at gig volume - the JTM45/100 (100 watt/ss rec) is HUGE with no mush whatsoever and TONS of headroom (still sounds like Little Wing with Loudness1 on 6)

I don't notice the mush with my 2204 (or my other amps - sold the 2245 and BB).

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. windjamma

windjamma Member

never tried the jtm45 only the 45/100 jh which i have to say with a good les paul has a thump in the bass that reminds me of the sound of the cork coming out of a great bottle of red wine, uuuuuuuuuuuummmmm plummy, woody sound.

5. Nickcha

Nickcha Member

Ditto on the JTM45/100. I'm more familiar with the originals than the Heritage JM model, but the 100s are truly a benchmark amp, for those who love that HUGE warm early Marshall sound. And I love the way they breakup. To me, they sound very much like the JTM45 with a giant bloom in the low end.

6. Roe

Roe Member

the jtm45 super 100 amplifier is probably the greatest amp of all time

7. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

No mush at all here (replica through Golds). Maybe Marshall didn't use as good quality of components as they should have for the RI? I do keep the bass all the way down as there is plenty.

8. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

As with all of my Marshalls, I believe the quality was outstanding with mine - it was from 1989 and had Drake transformers as do all of my Marshall amps. Even though it was 21 years old, it looked brand new and functioned perfectly I believe.
    I believe it's a wattage thing (or lack thereof). 30 watts - you only get so much volume out of that and the tube rectifier causes sag.

9. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

The only reason I ask that is because most of the negatives I've read about JTM 45's seem to be regarding people's experience with the Marshall RI's. I'm no Marshall hater - far, far from it. Heck, pretty much every amp I've owned is based on them.

10. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

That's sort of like asking whether Halle Berry has bad breath when she wakes up in the morning! I'd suuure like to find out. ;)