• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Are locking trems a thing of the past?

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
Not for me. I'll always have one floyd equipped guitar.

GAD

52ftbuddha

Yes they are functionally, they will have diehards that are hoping the 80's will come back. They were a good solution to a world without locking tuners and with only 6 screw bridges but time has eclipsed them.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
No way. In fact, they seem to be undergoing a bit of a resurgence lately.

-Austin

blastastick

They are back in a big way. Floyds have a unique tone, and can do what no other trem can. Love them or hate them, still around.

Atomic Punk

I'll take a Floyd over a stock Fender tremolo (two OR six screw. Yes, I do own both) ANY day. I have both and the Floyd blows the antique Fender design away.

Custom50

well, i don't like them, but I can't deny, they seem to be making a bit of a comeback, and you can't argue with their tuning stability.

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
I don't play a guitar with a Floyd myself, but I think those are back in a big way.

maccampbells

I just replaced the floyd on my strat with a new Gotoh. Worth the effort. Between this and a tele I feel like i've got it covered.

R

roomservice

I'll always have a FR guitar I think - I don't do the mad dive bombs and stuff like I did in the 80's but it's still a great system and it does have a sound all of its own.

I play a Strat AM Dxe nowadays with locking tuners and the trem system is great but not quite a FR ;)

buddastrat

I don't see a comeback around here with the kids. Most stores don't want them for trades. They still have their niche with the 80's crowd.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
never understood the floyd, i had a kramer pacer, never could keep it in tune.
but i have a parker nitefly that has locking sperzel tuners-can whammy that thing do death and it doesn't go out of tune.
my main guitar (homemade) has locking planet waves tuners w/ a guitarfetish vintage-style trem w/ the non-usa spacing, i use just 2 screws so it has pivot pts, and it rarely goes out of tune also (and i can pull up and go down on it!). easy to tune, easy to intonate, just easy.
never understood the floyd-guess you have to have a guitar tech to keep them in tune.
my 2 cents...
s---

Trending Topics