are marshall plexi's good with pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rich2k4, Mar 30, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

i have a 100 watt superlead plexi, and while i do have a thd hotplate, i dont really like cranking the amp anymore, because it allow me to get any volume boosts.

so i'm thinking of using the amp with a pedalboard. the 100 watts should give me enough clean headroom.

are these amps good with pedals? whenever i see someone with these amps, they always just crank the amp with an attenuator. i've never actually seen someone use the amp on like 2-4 on the volume, with any pedals.

of course there is hendrix, but he cranked the amp, and you can't really do that anymore.

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

That's how I lived before getting my Ultimate Attenuator. OK, mine's a 50 watt plexi but my volume was set at the levels you are talking about.

I have a Box of Rock for OD and a Lovepedal BBB07 in Rangemaster settings for treble boost. Both pedals worked really well with the amp.

But now, with my footswitchable, 2 volume Ultimate Attenuator, I don't bother with pedals any more, except to switch between the 2 UA settings.

But to answer your question - yes - good pedals sound good with a plexi.

OK - maybe the treble boost once a night but really now it's just the amp and the UA.

And yes - the plexi does sound good with good pedals.

3. mesanatic

mesanatic Member

Yes Marshalls up to JCM 800's take pedals well. The Super Lead/ Lead are some of the few amps that take a fuzz well. Treble boosters were always popular with these amps before the advent of attenuation. The Seymor Duncan Pickup Booster does that well and it's cheap or a wah in the down position. I know that's old school but that's what I know.
    I use a Maxon 808 or OD 9 or Boss SD-1 with my 2203's.

Should of kept my '69 50 watter but, sold it. Too loud.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you're talking about OD's, distortion, clean boosts and fuzz pedals, yes, these amps do well with many of these types of pedals. Not so good with delays if you're alowing the amp to overdrive naturally (and why wouldn't you?:).

As always, delays don't sound great into a distorted amp.

5. Cussion

Cussion Member

Works great with Rangemaster-type treble boosters, or Colorsound Overdriver (silicon booster)