Are men fascinated with routes/directions?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by poolshark, Feb 20, 2015.

1. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Every time the topic of travel comes up between myself and another dude, it gets invariably detailed. My father and fathers in law are probably the worst offenders in my inner circle, but it's definitely not limited thereto. To the eye-rolling chagrin of all women within earshot, discussion topics to include:
    • detailed account of which interstates, highways and fire roads we took;
    • quality of traffic in various cities;
    • when and why, a.k.a. driving strategy;
    • how the [vehicle] is doing;
    • pros and cons of renting a car;
    • cost/benefit of driving vs. flight, a.k.a. travel economics
    • where we stopped to eat, relieve or [other];
    Every single time, without fail. I know it isn't normal, but is this at least common?

2. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

Very common. Some guys take it to the strange level, as with anything. Every trip is like the Age of Discovery.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I love looking through a road atlas. The US Interstate system fascinates me. And yes, my father and I talk at length about routes, where we've been, how we got there, etc.

I travel a lot for business, and when I see a part of the highway that touches my home state, I feel like I'm not so far away from home after all. For example, I-20 goes through both Atlanta and Dallas, so even though I took a long flight to Dallas from Atlanta, I see the same road. :)

4. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

My wife and I recently moved to a new city about which we knew nothing. Had to start from scratch on everything.

She very quickly remembered where most everything is, but sometimes still can't figure out the best route to get there.

It took me longer to remember where everything is, but I can always figure out the shortest route to get there.

Difference in how men's and women's brains work.

5. gigs

gigs Member

I have a terrible sense of direction. If given a choice to go left or right, I pick the wrong one 90% of the time... even when I second guess myself. So, I listen to the "direction nazis" and let them have their time in the sun. Just tell me when to turn and I tune out all the other stuff and play a song in my head.

6. Bozak

Bozak Member

Fascinated? no, it's just something to talk about, topics of discussion can be hard to come by for men.

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

We can drive somewhere 50 times and the 51st time I'll suggest that my wife drive or go alone and she'll swear she doesn't know how to get there.

8. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

I'm a guy, and for me it's: this route, this exit, these many lights/blocks, turn onto this street and it will be on the right.

It's painful for me to listen to others give directions... and trying to get the important stuff out of the blather is like pulling teeth, except teeth eventually come out.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Research shows men regularly score higher than women on tests of spatial knowledge. We seem to love directions and routes, for whatever reason.

*insert your asking for directions joke here* It seems we often have more confidence than the situation warrants, however. Thank God for GPS.

10. hellbender

hellbender Member

I know of what you speak. I know an individual who can turn any story into a trip he took complete with plenty of references to towns, roads, construction twenty years ago, that take way longer they should. His whole shtick is rolled up into driving and talking about driving. His navigation system is a map. No GPS within a mile of this guy.

11. hellbender

hellbender Member

On this matter, I agree. But it's like guitar playing. Just liking it is sometimes not enough, you need to have a knack for it.

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

I'm a delivery driver, so, I use GPS on my smart phone all day long. So glad I have that, after using paper map books in the car for years.

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

"Directions"? Guys don't ask for "directions". :dunno

14. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

Thinking about entire long trip is kind of silly. Just glance at the map during each restroom break. It's not a death march.

15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

It depends. When I'm in Florida, I'll ask our neighbors down there what the back route is to take to Tampa or Ft Lauderdale (or wherever) because I know they know the best way with the least amount of traffic. I do the same for visitors in LA...it's common courtesy and besides, I like being a human Thomas Guide and I suspect they do too...

16. hellbender

hellbender Member

Oh lordy, watch those back roads out in the sticks of Florida. I thought I'd entered a time warp!

17. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

That is something I hadn't considered. Like weather or sports.

18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

It's OK, I learned my lesson with my 6 series and paper CA plates. Now I drive a F-150 with Florida plates down there and nobody even looks twice...

19. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

20. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

I see it all the time. It's like a competition who can plan the best route. That and find the cheapest gas. Makes me nuts. Just freakin' go however you want, I don't give a **** that you saved 7.5 minutes by taking bla blah blah.....