1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Are Menatones going all PCB?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by John_M, Jan 13, 2006.

1. John_M

John_M Member

Not saying it's good or bad if it is so but I noted that his website now only contains the 2 new BC and RS pedals - which look cool and I'm sure sound great, just wondering if he's discontinuing his handwired series and going all PCB.

Love the new look, may have to get the new line to be able to fit more on my board!

2. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Dang it !!!...thanks:jo After checking out that link and listening to the Red Snapper samples, my Barber LTD may be in trouble. I like the previous edition Howie pedal samples too...and I thought my pedal needs were pretty much met.

JK

3. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I dig the battery slide door on the side. Looks like he scaled back on the knobs a little. I hope there still point to point. :JAM

4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

interesting. i like the smaller size. but i like having all the extral controls on the larger pedals, so i hope he doesn't scale those down. i guess the red snapper didn't drop any controls, but i can't imagine fitting the 7-knob kar krash into that small a box! :) not to mention anything with two stomp switches!

anyone know if he's working up new models or just refining the exsting ones? and the red snapper price is actually up from what it was before ($160) - i hope the other models don't rise as well.

5. John_M

John_M Member

I like the new design - really pedalboard friendly - small and top mounted I/O and DC jack - smart.

I think it would be hard to get a KK or KOB or ANY of the multi knobbers in there. I actually hope he does tho, then I can add the WMB to my rig and not need a bigger board.

The new designs are all PCB - high quality PCB, and Menatone says they sound just as good.

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

very true, that was one of the things i liked about the 2005 models - they stack together so well on the board. glad he kept that.

[​IMG]

7. John_M

John_M Member

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I must admit I prefer the larger box. Not that worried about PCB. I bet Mr. Mena knows what he is doing and certainly won't take chances with the quality of his products.

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

The new boxes with the new paint job looked plain ugly to me.. Just my two cents, but I was just a bit disappointed as I've really loved the look of Menatones until now.

10. playon

playon Supporting Member

Dude, you need a few more knobs to turn!!! :cool:

11. TomK

TomK Member

As if P2P matters one bit in a pedal. Another bogus audio myth.:Devil

12. TomK

TomK Member

AMEN:angel

13. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

apparently keeley would agree with this, since he moved the time machine boost from PTP to circuit boards.

14. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I didnt say that ptp was better ,I just like the "hands on quality" of hand wired. :moon Dont take it so hard dude. Mike

15. rabbit

rabbit Member

I think the fact that Brian switched the production to B-size boxes could be called the xotic-timmy-zendrive-...-effect. Seems like some builders realized that they are able to build the same circuit in a smaller box and thus save space on pedalboards. Call it good or bad !?!

IMO the old designs had a bit more boutique-look to them (like painted by hand) but the new ones look cool, too.

I have and stick to this:

[​IMG]

16. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

As a pedal builder I have to say I was pretty impressed with the new Red Snapper. Board friendly size, cool battery door and great cosmetics (powder coated with a two layer silk screen). As if that wasn't enough, it sounded great.

17. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

building pedals point to point, while impressive to some people, can often lead to problems down the road. In an amp, it may get open once a year, or maybe even never, but if you have someone replacing a battery every week, and the battery floating arround inside the box, i could forsee all kinds of problems... of course its not inevitable or even necissarilly probably, but point to point wiring isnt quite as durable when it is easilly accessed. Of course, if there is a problem down the road, point to point is usually easier to fix... its a double edged sword i suppose.

someday ill get that KOTB

18. John_M

John_M Member

I emailed him and asked him if he was redesigning the whole line. Here's his response:

"Yes.

Brian
    Menatone"

succinct and to the point :)

I've been tweaking the board - I've already thought about replacing the FF with the new RS and BC. I'm an addict.

19. basscracker

basscracker Guest

this is a PCB blue collar i bought from true tone music that got lost on a fedex truck .let them know if you ever see it,its a one off.i wanted that pedal .someone got this back to me,awesome!don't know if it was fedex,was left in a strange place.

[​IMG]

20. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow,

Just checked out Menatone's website. He only has the 2 new models presented, none of the bigger box PTP-models. I guess it's goodbye to those then...