Are mini pedals the future?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GloryJones, Jan 22, 2015.

1. GloryJones

GloryJones Supporting Member

I'm sure this has been tackled before, but is the influx of mini pedals the future? Is it a matter of time before we see a majority of pedalboards hosting these tiny pedals? I know there are many boards filled with these pedals already.

Is this like the whole tube amp vs. modeling discussion? There are obvious differences here, but I think you get what I mean. Will there be purists to their big box Rats or Memory Man delays who won't convert to these smaller pedals?

This isn't a tone comparison thread. I'm well aware that these pedals sound great, and I own a few of them myself. I view them as space savers to be strategically fit on a packed pedalboard, a la Tetris.

I'm just curious if these space savers are the future of pedals.

2. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

Only if you need them to feel like a man.

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I'd really love to compress a large pedalboard down to a Pedaltrain Nano or two... :)

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Mini pedals may be new, but until they can do what the larger, more popular pedals, like a Timmy, or a Klon , et. al can do, they will continue to be a part of one's possible setup, but no the end-all, be-all for most players. It's still about what the pedal can do, not the size of it.

For example, I cannot see a Strymon Timeline being condensed down to a mini pedal...yet..

5. psychicrooster

psychicrooster Senior Member

God I hope not. I've had a few of the TC Polytune mini pedals and cannot get on with the small size. They're just too small. I'm a size 10, and I need big chunky things to plant my foot on!

6. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Everyone knows the bigger the box, the more the pedal resonates. Watch out for feedback though.

The only reason I wouldn’t flock to mini pedals is that I often turn knobs with my feet, and smaller pedals and knobs might make that increasingly more difficult.

Otherwise, I’m all for less weight and more space.

7. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I just downsized to a Nano. In order to do it I downsized the tuner and delay to TC Minis. The tuner is great and the delay is fine (I don't use it much).

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Just released:

[​IMG]

9. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

SWEET!!

Midget wah!

10. partytrain

partytrain Member

Is this real?

Want

11. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

12. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

Cool.

Are we going to be subjected to mini versions of every signature they make?

13. V

V Vendor

I think it probably won't become the norm other than downsizing things that were oversized (like the EHX nano line). For me, they're just not very practical because I have pretty big feet and I can't actually move pedals closer together than a typical hammond or MXR sized box and actually use them with any accuracy on a stage. I get it for set and forget always on applications, though, and maybe little utility things that get tucked in here or there like a buffer or tuner. But I mean...you can't mini the timeline and have it work like a timeline. It's about as compact as it can be due to human physiology as is

14. 9520575

9520575 Member

[​IMG]

15. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

16. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I have two Mooers on my 'board now. I have them mounted horizontally and I feel like I am gonna crush them when stomping on the switches. I'm sure they will hold up just fine, I'm just paranoid.

Now, that mini-Cry Baby is way cool looking. I will definitely have to snag one of those.

17. thecornman

thecornman Member

Not for me! I have a couple of them and just don't dig the small size myself. Always feel like they are going to tip over to the side if I don't step on them at the right angle even with velcro on them. On a dark stage this is even worse. Also not one that feels like I need to crame something on every little space I have on my board, because I can. If they are working for others great, but I will be sticking with boss and mxr size pedals.

18. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I think there are a number of pedal users that like having the ability to change stuff on the fly with their feet. Mini pedals are not very well-suited for that.

There are a lot of pedals with four or five knobs+ on them-- again, not really the best candidates for micro-sizing.

19. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

I dont see them taking over, they're good for pedal sounds that you use every so often, but not enough to warrant mounting a full sized deja vibe on your board, when something like a pickle vibe will do for your limited uses. Like the guys who like the original DMM sound, but don't want to waste the space on a pedal they use for 30 seconds in a set.

20. JCJones

JCJones Member

I doubt it. Mini-pedals have been around a long time, remember the original Dan Armstrong pedals from the seventies? If you don't use a lot of pedals what would be the point? I can think of more negatives than positives, they are harder to work on, tough to use if you have big feet(I do!) and possibly easier to lose. I suppose if you have a monster board they might make some sense and maybe save your back! But they don't appeal to me.