• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Are modelers dead yet?

tkachuk07

They have pretty much died off. All the whipper snappers just build stuff in minecraft vs building a model plane or train etc.

wedewer

Actually I think the opposite. My current amps are Bogner Helios, Metro 12,000, Marshall Jubillee, Tophat Emplexador, germino club 40 and 65 amps London pro. But...... the kemper profiling amp I got 3 months ago is the most exciting piece of gear I have bought in years. It's what I bring to gigs now and the feedback from the soundmen and fellow guitar players is outstanding. I think what you are seeing with the kemper is a game changer in terms of modeling.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I think that the tube amp has maybe 20-25 years left and then all you will see is modelers and profilers...

This coming from a tube amp nut....

Eventually the processing power, ir's, and algorithms will get to the point where you really won't be able to tell the difference in sound and feel....

frankencat

Guitarded
Gold Supporting Member
I give modelers 5 years and they will become "the norm" over tube amps.

Fretmaster

I think that the tube amp has maybe 20-25 years left and then all you will see is modelers and profilers...

Eventually the processing power, ir's, and algorithms will get to the point where you really won't be able to tell the difference in sound and feel....

Yep, this is probably pretty accurate. But for now, as far as I'm concerned they're dead to me. Yeah they can be fun, but nothing comes close to replacing thermionic emission yet.

Fretmaster

Although, another consideration is the market. As time goes by, minus the high end super amps available today, most players never get to experience what true tube dynamics and feel are. And you now have the progressive metalists whose rigs are so gained out, gated and tightened up that modelers are already better for their applications than tube amps. So for that segment of the market it will come sooner. But for the folks who have played their entire lives on tube amps, mostly non-master volume rigs back in the day, it will take a long long time to convince us. And the tech is not near there yet.

tone?

Agree 100%

Longer

Silver Supporting Member
Tube amps will be called grandpa amps before you know it.
Funny thing is, grandpa isn't going to be hauling a freaking tube amp around either.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
What will be interesting is what happens with the collectibility of tube amps.

The modelers will have a useful life and then effectively be garbage as they're replaced with newer, better sounding amps and the "Lower sound quality" units will have no appeal to players.

I think this is different that what we see with the limited collectibility of certain solid state amps that were known for their particular sound....the modelers goal is to effectively emulate classic tube sounds and eventually produce new sounds of their own. Once the processing allows for everything you could ever want, there would be no reason to play the older modeling amps.

However, I can see tube amps being collected an enjoyed even when they've been made obsolete by modelers...much the same way vintage cars are enjoyed for the unique experience of operating and caring for them.

I do see most guitarists ending up with modeling for their daily driver...I still believe that there will be a big market for those tube amps when they stop making them. :)

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think that modelers will make tube amps obsolete, unless the modeler companies come up with something that sounds tremendous but is simple to use like a tube amp. The majority of the really good modelers require too much homework and tweaking to get sounding good, and you simply can't plug a modeler into any old floor wedge and have it sound great. Modelers just take too much effort these days, and the majority of guitarists don't seem to want to put in the effort.

There have been a number of killer modeler amps released in the past (Vetta and other Line 6 products, Marshall JMD) that did not take the world by storm. I would think these would have been more popular if guitarists were willing to switch.

For all we know, there might be a huge backlash against modelers in the future as we see now in the resurgence of vinyl recordings.

Now all this might change if tubes are no longer available.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
I don't think that modelers will make tube amps obsolete, unless the modeler companies come up with something that sounds tremendous but is simple to use like a tube amp. The majority of the really good modelers require too much homework and tweaking to get sounding good, and you simply can't plug a modeler into any old floor wedge and have it sound great. Modelers just take too much effort these days, and the majority of guitarists don't seem to want to put in the effort.

There have been a number of killer modeler amps released in the past (Vetta and other Line 6 products, Marshall JMD) that did not take the world by storm. I would think these would have been more popular if guitarists were willing to switch.

For all we know, there might be a huge backlash against modelers in the future as we see now in the resurgence of vinyl recordings.

Now all this might change if tubes are no longer available.

Listen to this:

Which comes from this:
IMG_20150110_221806.jpg

sugarlou

Silver Supporting Member
The Kemper requires very little tweaking to sound good so thats not really true.

I believe the new axe is fairly plug n play now as well

I have owned a Fractal (Ultra) and now the Kemper

Ive been noodling with the Kemper. i tell you at home its nice to get cranked plexi tones at bedroom levels...my tube amp sits

I got the Kemper for cover band gigs where I need to cover a large landscape of styles.

It sounds amazing for sure but there is a mysterious harmonic complexity to how a real tube amp reacts and sounds and to me SO FAR its not happening with the modeler.

Its a quality thats very hard to describe but it catches your ear on certain notes where the modeler seems a bit leveled off. Its getting very close though I admit and if I can gig with this little light lunchbox and not have to lug the heavy stuff and then wire all that crap up Im good with close enough. At least for covers!

Modelers are here to stay and are the future for sure. Get on board

Last edited:

GT100

I haven't tried the very latest ones (Kemper and Axe II) but I did try the axe FX ultra and it didn't have the proper feel of a tube amp. Maybe the new ones do?
I have a hard time getting around buying a computer based amp because it will be worthless in 10 years or so.

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tacorivers

I've had my Axe FX II for years, and it's my only "amp". Got rid of all my tube amps. It's more satisfying than any amp purchase, and I'm never going back to tubes.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
It sounds amazing for sure but there is a mysterious harmonic complexity to how a real tube amp reacts and sounds and to me SO FAR its not happening with the modeler.

Its a quality thats very hard to describe but it catches your ear on certain notes where the modeler seems a bit leveled off.

It's something between the 1's and 0's. They're not small enough yet.

I like simple, old tube amps. The older I get, the simpler I prefer. I'm starting to look around for schematics or a layout for one of those old SE Hawaiian amps from the 50's with the octal preamp tubes. One of those I can build in an afternoon or so and without a degree in programming.

metropolis_4

Gold Supporting Member
The majority of the really good modelers require too much homework and tweaking to get sounding good, and you simply can't plug a modeler into any old floor wedge and have it sound great. Modelers just take too much effort these days...

10 years ago I would have agreed with you. However, I think many companies have been doing a good job listening to guitarists and designing UI that fixes many of these problems from the past.

Sure, my digital rig might not be as simple as my Pro Jr, but I actually find that I am able to dial up the tones I want quicker and more simply with my digital rig than with my tube amp rig giving me more time to play and less time tweaking trying to find the right tone.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom