Are Mogami cables dark sounding?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Random Hero, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I just got some patch cables from them, and they seem to have darkened my tone quite a bit. Is Mogami generally a darker cable? Rest of the rig is Evidence Lyric HG.

2. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

I had an instrument cable - gold series I think - it was very dark. Never bought another. That said, a lot of the build-your-own guys use Mogami, so they most have some tonal variety. I can see a dark instrument cable. Patch cables, not so much.

3. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Hmm...I use Mogami 2524 for instrument...it's fairly low capacitence, I wouldn't say it's dark.

4. ylo

ylo Member

Which Mogami? Mogami Platinum's spec is 70 pF/m, which is 21 pF per foot, pretty low. This should not darken your tone compared to most cables, which have higher capacitance.

Mogami claims that their W2524 is 39.7 pF per foot, a bit less bright if you have enough cable to notice.

The lowest claimed capacitance I have seen is in the range of 17 - 20 pF per foot (Best-tronics CA-0446 guitar cable for example).

5. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

I recently a/b'd two 30ft cables. A mogami 2524 (39pf) and a gepco xb20ub (22pf). I left them at 30ft to exaggerate the effect of capacitance. After all that is what I really wanted to hear. This test was done pre and post buffer as well as no buffer at all. In this case to replicate a rack wired with say 30ft of cable but using buffers to defeat the effects of capacitance as is often done.What I noticed wasn't so much that the mogami was darker but it was mid heavy. "Mid focused" in a way that when switching back to the lower capacitance gepco cable it was like all the frequencies came out to play again. I found the buffer to make little difference in the tone, if anything it cleaned up noise. I realize your asking in relation to patch cables. With short runs like that capacitance becomes less of an effect. I would have to believe however that if you're running a lot of patch cables, even with buffers, you would notice the difference between cables. Can't yet comfirm that however.