Are mounting holes in speakers universally located?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by tch, Dec 21, 2009.

1. tch

tch Member

I'm building a baffle and am going to experiment (probably) with different 10" speakers. Since I would like to do this once, the right way, and am going to use t-nuts to mount the speaker--will my ragin cajun do as a template for screw hole placement for most other brands?

Thanks

2. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

I've tried quite a few new, four hole, 12" speakers. Everyone worked perfectly. I can't testify to vintage speakers or 10's, however.

3. tch

tch Member

Thank you kind sir. My drill is waiting for me in the morning.

4. anais

anais Member

newer speakers- yes.

MOST Older speakers- yes. but not all, be careful.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I swear Ive noticed a slight bit of difference between Emi's and Celestions. I dont think it was my imagination. Bob

6. chaz

chaz Member

If you use a pattern for Celestion you'll be set. They're the only ones that sometimes have a problem mounting on a standard pattern if it's a little off. They have holes while others mostly all have slots that allow for some variance. As someone already mentioned vintage speakers can sometimes be a surprise, but not often. I just made a baffle that accommodates a modern standard speaker and a vintage SRO. I just used 4 holes for each so either one can be used.

7. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

Besides, I always like an excuse to beat something into submission. Nothing that a good slap with the palm of my hand can't fix.

8. tch

tch Member

chaz mentioned a "pattern". Where would something like that found? Thanks.

9. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Member

As a matter of fact, there is. It's an EIA specification, RS-278-B. I was not able to locate a copy because the EIA site was not cooperating but you should be able to find it in the library of any good engineering college.