are my nocaster pickups good enough?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleking36, Feb 7, 2006.

1. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I currently have some Fender CS Nocaster pickups in my Am. tele and I was wondering if upgrading to another set would change the sound significantly. What do Lollars, Fralins, and the like, have that my Nocasters don't?

I've been most curious in the following:

- Lollars
    - Kinman Broadcasters
    - Fralin Blues Specials

Before I purchased the Nocaster p'ups I considered other pickup makers but didn't know too much about them. I'd like to possibly swap these out for some others. Any suggestions?

BTW, I play mostly alt-country, roots rock, and blues.

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

What don't you like about them?

3. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

I like the nocasters. Ive gone through most after market pickups to only relize the nocasters were best. Alnico three magnets sound best to me. I think some of the early nocasters sound really good and they can be found at resonable prices. Mike:RoCkIn

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

Yeah, I think the question has to be, and I don't mean any offense by this, probably everybody on this forum has "the disease", but are you looking to change pickups because you're dissatisfied with the ones you have, or because you think there might be something better out there that you're missing. 'Cause that seems to be a pretty common problem. I mean if there's a real shortcoming to the pickups, then I'd say try out the Frahlins.
    My new thing is trying not to replace things that I'm completely satisfied with. Unfortunately it ain't working too well (put togetehr my "final" pedalboard 2.5 weeks ago. As of last night, I had already changed out 4 of the nine pedals WITH NEW PEDALS!)

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've heard the Nocasters sound really good in my buddies CS Nocaster Relic and I've heard them sound less than stellar in my alder body custom tele...in the right guitar they sound great...

it really depends on the guitar you put them in...there is no real formula and a lot of variables for what sounds good in a particular guitar...

my experience has been that you gotta try the different pu's out....my custom tele came with SD Antiquities and I just bought some different sets of pickups to try...so far I have tried and ruled out the Antiquities and the Nocasters...next up is the Suhr V60LP's, Fralins and a set of GVCG/Lollars which are all waiting on my bench for my guitar to come back with a new Birdseye Maple boatneck...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think the Nocaster bridge is a bit harsh sounding and I just don't care for the neck pup at all. The Fralin Blues Specials are great pups, ditto for the Lollars, ditto for Suhrs, ditto for the Van Zandts. Presently, I have a set of GVCG/Lollars and they are perfect. Love the balance and tone of the A3 staggered mags; girth, chime & grease. Tasty!

7. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I agree with the above. I love strats and teles.

My current Axe is equipped with the 57/62 CS strat pups so I feel your pain, yes they are definately a lot more harsh than they should be.

Lollars, Fralin Blues....they will do you well it just depends on what you are looking for in the character. I like a bit less high end and a fuller mid range and then tight clear full bass. Fender stuff is always a little bright.

8. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

i think it's a little bit of both. TGP gives me was too much G.A.S., but I'm also finding the bridge pickup, primarily, to be a little too harsh.

i'd rather try somethin' like the lollars or fralins and do a comparison rather than never find out if i like anything else, better or worse.

in any case, if i were to try out the lollars, what's the best set to get? i know there's the special, '52, and vintage right?

i play mostly roots rock/alt country stuff and some rock and blues as well...

i use an OCD for OD and an analogman comp. to beef up the sound.

9. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Keep the nocaster p/u's in there. But if you feel compelled to swap, then imo you might consider putting in Lollars. (p.s. keep the nocaster set in there)

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Check out some Lollar Special T's if the No's are too harsh.

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Damn fine tunes goin on at Mat Gibson's shop! Loved it!

I'd call Jason and check in with him.

However, the I'd think the Blues Specials neck & bridge together are perfect for your needs/style. The necks more stratty sounding but it harmonizes like an angel with the bridge pup in the middle position. BTW, they were the set that I pulled in favor of the Lollars.

12. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i've always thought the same thing about my pickup (stock USA TELE), but i've really come to love it. Paired with the right amp, it's wonderful. Even Fred Taccone (Divided by 13) mentioned that it was a great sounding pickup, he was shocked when he found out it was stock.

i'm a big beleiver of nice guitars (must feel great however) + an AMAZING amp is the way to go ... as long as the guitar feels great, there is no wrong answer, they're all just different flavors.

:) :dude

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I've got a '98 Collectors series Tele that the previous owner stated had alnico 3 magnet pickups in it. I don't suppose anyone happens to know what they put in these guitars? Pretty nice steely tone without being harsh.

It happens to have a pretty nice light body though also and Callaham intonated brass saddles.

15. Kappy

Kappy Member

How'd you get'em, sanhozay, through GVCG or directly from Lollar?

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I changed pickups on my Strat...and came to no real conclusions. I liked my old (orignal stock Amercan strat pickups) and got some nice sounds...after changing I had to realearn where to set my amps, etc.

I now get some wonderful tones. I just rewired a friends Strat with Texas Specials, and was tempted afterwards to do the same to mine, except I would lose some of the tones I love to get now.

I came to the conclusion that I should get another guitar :)
    Seriously, it's a good solution. Get another, maybe cheaper Strat, try out pickups in there. Either I find out I like them better (and want to trade with my main strat) or I find I like them in addition (and keep my cheaper one for THOSE tones)...or find I don't like them, take them out, sell, keep looking.

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

The Lollars are great pickups... especially his neck PU will be a huge, useful improvement over stock.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

+1. I must have spent $400+ and hours of soldering, several years back, before settling on a Nocaster bridge PUP for my '52 RI. I have one of the earlir 10.2K ohms ones. Plenty of girth but retains the classic Tele tones. It can cut like anything and sounds great with the tone control rolled off some. It's the one for me!