Are my OD Pedals too similar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brewbaker, Apr 23, 2008.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I think they might be. On my board I've got a Small Fry, a modded RAT, and a Keeley-mod SD1. The RAT has a bit of a fuzz quality to it when you crank up the gain so that's cool. But in general there's not drastic differences between the tones I'm getting. I'm thinking of adding something to get more diversity but what? Distortion, fuzz. I'm playing rock/jazz/blues so I'm not after metal tones or anything way over the top.

2. Blind Rat

Blind Rat Member

I have four similar overdrive pedals on my board all set very different 1.fuzz like setting 2.warm treble boost 3.bluesy O/D 4. dirty boost.

3. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I'd keep your favorite of the three you have, sell the remaining two, use the money to buy a fuzz pedal, and then be done with it. One drive, one fuzz. From what you're describing, that's really all you "need" IMO.

Doc :)

4. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Keep the Small Fry and the modded Rat. Set the Small Fry to the Tweed, Blackface, or Dumble setting at a lower drive . Set the Rat to more of a sweet rounded mid distortion. Sell the SD-1 and buy a Fulltone 69 or similar germanium Fuzz and set that for a nice warm full on fuzz sound.
    There you go. Three unique and different tones to work with.:RoCkIn
    Of course, this is just one man's opinion so take it with a huge grain of salt.

5. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I've been thinking about this too. Right now I've got a Zen 2, an LGW and I'm thinking that a Sunface would be appropriate for some variety.f Maybe a Mighty Red Distortion would cap it off?

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Sunface would be a nice addition. Also check out the Fulltone 69 and MJM fuzzes. You might want to check out an Emma ReezaFRATzitz for distortion. To my old tired ears, it has a warmer, more "organic" sound than the MP MRD which has sort of an "80's" hair band sound ....but that might be what you are looking for.

7. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

no...but I also have a minimalist approach to overdrive/distortion pedals...Ive trimmed down my pedalboard to include the bare essentials:
    Barber Trifecta
    barber LTD
    BArber Direct Drive
    proco rat
    mi audio crunch box
    visual sounds jeckyll and hyde
    marshall guvnor
    marshall jackhammer
    boss sd-1
    boss blues driver
    boss od-3
    boss mt-2
    line 6 uber metal

8. Slideman

Slideman Member

Personally, I would keep the SD-1, keep the Rat, and get a more transparanet OD/boost) (like Keely BD-2) and you would have all the flavors you need.

SD-1 -- mid-range TS-9 type OD
    Rat -- distortion/fuzz tones
    Keeley BD-2 -- transparent OD (less mid-range more treble/bass)

Also, SD-1 boosting a slightly dirty BD-2 is an awesome stacked tone IMO>

9. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

:rotflmao Been there; done that. :roll

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Yeah, I'm guilty of having too many similar sounding OD pedals.

But,

I do set them to sound different even though they are still similar in a way. I keep the ones that are different enough to warrant keeping or if its just a great sound OD in general.

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

heck, the fave setting of my fuzz factory and my modded DS-1 can get pretty close to each other even. you just want multiples in case you want to stack, or switch to another setting on the fly.

12. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

:AOKI am currently in the same boat. Trying to decide which pedals stay on the main board is tough. At least there are no bad ones to pick from so whatever makes the cut, it will be all good.

13. Julia343

Julia343 Member

:bow I thought I was bad with:

SPF Red Threat, Skreddy SD, Little Big Muff, MXR Doubleshot, and an incoming Reeza, not to mention a Mesa V-twin for which I'm awaiting the correct power supply.

14. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had a Keeley BD-2 for awhile and though it was very transparent I didn't care for the gritty quality of the OD when it was set low which is what I wanted it for. It had tones of gain so if I'd played a lot louder in my studio I might have found it more useful.

I'm thinking I might need some kind of Marshall-tone box or a good fuzz to add some new tones to my board.