Are old Klons really worth 1K??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by michael.e, Oct 8, 2005.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

So a friend told me that an original used Klon can fetch up to 1K. Do these units really go for that much? I have seen newer ones here fetch up to about $400.00. Is there really that huge a difference between the first ones and the more current units? M.E.

2. fuzzface

fuzzface Active Member

no difference, according to Bill Finnegan. IMO Klons only sound decent as a drive on a mid scoop amp like a Fender. For people who only use the clean boost : why to spend 400 on a clean boost when there are so many awesome clean boosts in the market for much much less................... my .02

dwoverdrive and Bobby D like this.
  3. eric-d

eric-d Member

I have the older Gold Version with the Centaur Logo, and I use it wide open - always have, and probably always will. I would never sell it even if I could get a grand for it.

4. steeeve

steeeve Member

I had a gold centaur logo Klon that I sold for $350.00 about three years ago. I had no idea they were going for a grand now. It was an awesome pedal that I never should have parted with, but I don't think I could sleep if I sold it for 1k even today.

I know that supply and demand is the reason for inflated prices. I would try to be a hero and sell it for like $500 in a most likely futile attempt to contribute to getting prices back to more reasonable figures. That was the longest sentence I've ever written. Anyway, what I'm getting at is, no, the Klon is not worth a grand (to me). We all know that, when it comes to our tone, "worth" can be a very subjective term. Don't get me wrong.

The Klon rocks, but...

Is the sound $800+ better than an SCP, or a Bad Bob, or a Katana, or a...? Will it really coax enough mojo to keep one from regretting taking such an expensive plunge? I just can't help but think that if someone buys a Klon for $1000.00, they wouldn't kick themselves in the ass a little upon hearing one of the other pedals I mentioned. This is, of course, if "worth" is based solely on how good it sounds and not how much it's "worth." ;)

5. exodus

exodus Member

they are not going for a grand now... that is way off base from what I have seen.

Check e-bay. People ask for $500-$550 on a "but it now" for the gold ones.

Are they different? No. I had a roomate whose father is the builder of the metal housings. He gave me his klon which was given as a gift from Bill.... one of the first ones out there. It was stolen, but I now have a silver one and it is the same.

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

1K...geez that makes me think twice about lettin mine go...

I was watching them on ebay awhile back and noticed that the logo'd ones go for way more than those without and that the Silver Logo'd ones seem to fetching more than the Gold ones with Logo...

last time I checked the Silver Logo's ones were bringing between $550-630 and most of the people snapping them up seem to be from Japan...the gold ones were bringing in around $500-550!!

heck I have a Silver Logo'd one from 94 I think(I'd have to check) and for 1K I'd let it go and eat the shipping costs;)

Chow,
    Seegs

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I've never seen one go for 1k, and if someone asks 1k they will keep it.. I've been watching these and the highest I've seen was about $550.00 for a buy it now.. And there is no difference in the models, ask Bill he will tell you.. I talked to him a couple times for a long time, and he said he hated the symbol on the old Klon's.. I seen there is somone on the forum here that is asking 1k now, I think he is going to be keeping that baby...

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i wonder why bill used the graphic for so long, then all of a sudden hated it?? ive talked to him plenty of times, but never got an answer to that....he builds a great pedal, and knows tone pretty well...

9. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Is there any change from the old to the new?? I don't think so, but if there is any sound change it could be that he had a special run of some good sounding IC chips back in the old days, and thats why.. But I have compaired the old with the new and couldn't tell the difference at all.. The people that are alway saying the old sound better, are selling there old ones, and thats why they are saying they sound better.. Anyway if you talk to anybody that knows what they are doing with pedal making, they will tell you that the gain pot of the Klon turns on the overdrive part of the pedal at around 9 or 10 oclock, and before 9:00 it is strickly a clean boost JFET style, and then i'ts a overdrive at around 9 or 10 oclock.. So you get two pedals in one.. And the 18 volt converter is only present on the clean boost side, and once you get the gain into the overdrive side it doesn't need the voltage jump.. If you look inside the Klon, you will see that cable that goes from the circuit board to the Gain pot, thats what helps control weather your in clean boost mode, or overdrive mode..

10. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Have we forgetting that the early pedals were all handmade by one person

and now are made quicker , with cheaper , more cost effective parts

I had both the newer pedal & the one in question & a/b them all the time I heard

a big difference . its all subjective to quality & tone preference

Enjoy & be Happy

11. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

12. Mac Daddy 355

Mac Daddy 355 MilkBone Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Just try to also remember he's selling new pedals & the older ones are long gone

when I spoke with him he seem to have a different view on things

he was also very eager to have my name & serial # for his records

again all his pedals sound great !

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

The Klon is one of the best pedals EVER made. There are lots of great ones, and if their was a Hall of Fame the Klon would/should be inducted in the 1st round. I have an older one (maybe 8-10years? ) and would never consider selling it. If anyone only thinks the Klon is a clean boost, it's either because it didn't match their situation with their amp , or they didn't know they could actually turn the knobs. It's the most incredible sounding , harmonically rich or glassy or klangy pedal made and nothing sounds like it.. That said, I have loads of favorite pedals as I play lots of amps and different styles, but the Klon is in my top few ever

ERIC

14. michael.e

Did I hear right that there is a ribbon connector in those early units? Still, I think it is silly to pay more than say $450.00 for one of those pedals anyway. Unless it belonged to Jimi or Jimmy, or even Jim perhaps!

15. mockoman

mockoman Member

Never played through a Klon,but would sure like to.

But,for $1000,I'd buy another amp. Probably another Tophat.:)

16. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yes, and there is on the new ones also.. He has not changed anything on these units..

17. Tomo

Tomo Member

Mine is #16.

Tomo

18. michael.e

Hey Tomo,

Is yours a pretty constant on your board?

You are a very sick player! I appreciate your time and effort here and I really enjoyed watching your vid's!

M.E.

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

You don't know what you are talking about.