Are P-90s making a 'comeback'?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AaeCee, Jan 30, 2006.

1. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Seems to me that I'm seeing an increasing level of commentary lately surrounding P-90s...switching to them, buying new guitars with them, discussing various P-90 makers and models, and seeing more guitar builders making creative use of them. Now, I've been a big fan of P-90s as long as I've been playing. I love their single coil clarity and nearer-to-humbucker output, and their great articulation even with the tone rolled way off. But until recently, I felt I was among a small minority who appreciated this. Now I perceive a welcome resurgence in their popularity. Is it me, or is there truely an up-cycle of P-90 usage in place? AC

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I started with P90 and will forever favor P90.

I hear what you are saying though. The trend seemed to pick up a few years back but I think it is already fizzling back down...which is fine by me, gets prices down. I think it had to do with the popular bands that came up a few years ago, all those "garage band/rock" bands like Jet, Strokes, BRMC and the like. Pop music seems to have shifted yet again and so has the focus on gear.

2ยข

3. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

My first Gibby had P-90's and the most recent one that I bought also has them. It's funny, at times I get sick of the constant hum and what not, but all in all, there is just no substitute for it. It certainly seems like there is a bit of a resurgence, which is cool, but they still get underplayed in my opinion.

4. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

I can definitely attest to the fact that P90s in all their flavourings are making a comeback.
    I'm definitely seeing interest in P90s in HB format, and our BigMag singlecoil pups are catching a lot of interest.
    I believe that for the Strat / Tele crowd a P90 in the slimmer format gives them more juice and fatness - a different overall tone from overwound p.ups, which tend to compress too much - and yet retain typical bolt-on single-coilness.
    Semihollow owners seem to be digging the P90HBs, which yield more vintage vibe and sound more interesting than a split HB.
    I personally look forward to build a telly inspired plank with a Tele BigBag bridge and a P90HB in the neck for some really BIG tele-vibe.

All the above IMHO, YMMV and written with an extra pinch of salt :) BTW

Best,

JJ

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

6. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I just ordered an assembled guard from Pete at Vintage Vibe with his Strat sized P90's for my "83 Strat. I've never owned a P90 guitar but it's the one thing missing from the stable and the Strat has been staying home of late and my Tele and Andy have been getting the nod. My Strat is a great player and I'm looking forward to having it be a useful member of society again! Nothing like a makeover to bring an old axe out of retirement! Can't wait to hear it!

7. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

When I first started playing guitar - in 1986 - P-90s weren't 'cool'. P-90s were in 'old guitars'. Our guitar heroes of that day used humbuckers. MTV was filled with humbucker-slingers and maybe - just maybe - a few stalwart single-coil users.

I don't know if they're 'cool' or not 20 years later, but I've discovered that their sounds are what I prefer; while I still appreciate a good single or humbucker, to me happiness is a warm P-90 :)

--chiba

8. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

Hopefully, more and more places will have good enough wiring so that you can play P-90s without buzz problems.

Back in the middle '70s I was in a 2 guitar band. I had a '58 strat and the other guy had a '56 TV Special and a Super Reverb. His tone was so much cooler than mine. I've loved P-90s ever since.

9. phoenix

phoenix Member

10. mainsale

mainsale Member

I didn't know they went away. They have always been my favorite. I've also had my first experience with a Fralin P-92, which is described as a noiseless P-90. I agree with that and I'm so impressed with the one I have in the neck of a Tele that my next Tele will have a set of P-92's in it. I'm also looking at dropping a set into a LP that I have.

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Back in the 60s I had 2 Gibson Les Pauls with P90s, but none since. But I'm getting another custom guitar and it will have a, P90-P90-HB configuration, instead of the more common, S-S-H. I'm planning on using Vintage Vibe P90s as well (I've read that they're pretty quiet), along with a WCR Goodwood (with coil split).

12. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

My first good guitar -- which I still have -- was a Hamer Special with P-90s, and it's forever made me love that sound. I also love Teles & Jazzmasters, but there's always been a special place for P-90s...and I'm not the only one, anymore!

13. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Actaully from what I recall, the re-emergance of the P-90 in guitars started back in the early 90s as "grunge" music brought back interest in cheaper vintage guitars and that retro look became all the rage. Pretty much every company out there started to reissue designs that had gone by the wayside in the 70s and 80s or newer companies were taking their stab at modern retro designs to help horn in on that new market. The P-90 found a new place in among the usual contenders. It's popularity hasn't really ebbed or flowed much since then, though I've found that on a particular guitar Forum if enough folks mention a product, it genreates a lot of interest and creates the false impression that the market as a whole is moving one way or another. I suspect there's just been more talk around here as we whip each other up into a P-90 frenzy. The amount of P-90 equipped gear in the marketplace has held pretty steady for a decade or more IMO.

I for one have been smitten with the P-90 for years and years and it's popularity just sort of floats there just under the ever popular humbucker and the tele and strat style singlecoil.

-e.

14. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm a big P-90 guy. I love the sound and feel. It has been my favorite since I had the experience of playing a real 56 goldtop in the 80's. I now have three P-90 mahoghany axes. Harmonic Design makes a WONDERFUL P-90 pickup.

15. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

They feel great under your hands I think, especially for rhythm playing. A lot of strat type single coils tend to lack punch and guts for me, and a lot of humbuckers feel too fat and tubby with my playing. P-90s are about perfect. Just enough glass and just enough sass (I just came up with that right now. Maybe it'll be my new catchphrase).

16. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Is there anything more sexy in all of guitardom than a well executed goldtop?

The correct answer is no, there is nothing more sexy in all of guitardom than a well executed goldtop.

:BEER

17. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I am inclined to agree.

Funny, this one is lighter (in color) then my R7, for some reason this looks more correct to me.

18. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Crap. That's twice in one week we agree.:Spank :jo :BITCH ;)

19. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I thought you were all over that R6?
    If you never played a wraptail you should check out an R4 too, it is different and in a good way.

20. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Yup Yuop. My buddie's R6 is fantastic.

I do love the one piece wrapover on the R4. Loved it on a few Hamers, LP Jr's, etc. Cool tone.

But the agreement comes from the fact that there is NOTHING so sexy as a well done goldtop.