• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Are people still rockin' PRS Custom 24's or are they outta style?

xdisciplex

I still like prs guitars, i have a tremonti tribal, cu22 and cu24 and i wished i had a couple more. Very nice guitars to be honest about it.

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Perhaps that's a touch hyperbolic, but the guy has eloquently engaged and deconstructed every design tradition in great solidbody design. He has not continued a design element just because it's tradition, either; He's digested it and synthesized it. Homage and innovation are genetically combined with PRS.

Because of this depth, I think he's successfully created a viable third classic mentality (next to Gibson + Fender of course).

Suhr and Anderson are wonderful instruments, but they are much closer to "perfection evolved through mimicry" than PRS IMHO.
In the immortal words of Slim Pickens; "Ditto!!". ;-)

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
I've got a "90 Cu24 and 3 other PRSs......Mira, McCarty, DGT. They are so well made, like a piece of fine furniture ..........with strings.

For me my Cu24, they will have to pry out of my cold dead hands before I give it up. It bites and growls .... all in a good way.

theredman

I don't think they'll ever go out of style. In my opinion, people that play them are almost always ridiculously excellent players..... maybe it's the guitar..? I'm going to have to get one now. :)

rydia is hot

the numetal guys ruined the PRS image for a whole lot of younger players. and before anyone gets too hung up on how image shouldn't matter, just think about the stigma that an ibanez--even a "traditional" style one--has amongst blues players. it happens, logical or not.

i don't get along with PRS guitars for the same reason that a lot of people love them: the hybrid/in-between type sound they have. for my taste, it's not so much the perfect marriage of gibson and fender, but more the kind of bland compromise. i understand why people like them, but my taste is for more unique tones.

their QC is impressive, that's for damn sure.

rydia is hot

Manager's translation: "Corporate won't give me any PRS for my store, so I'll bad-mouth them."

There are some underperforming GC stores that don't get PRS guitars either. Corporate HQ makes those calls.
i think it's kind of unfair to imply that the store in question isn't allowed PRS stock because they underperform. i've lived in areas where PRS flew off the shelves and gibsons gathered dust and in areas where gibsons sold before the strings were even worn in and PRS stuff just hung there and looked pretty. i've worked music retail, and sometimes great products don't move just because of the clientele, not because of "sales performance."

LSchefman

>>Sorry, but PRS guitars say 'I don't get taken out of the house' more than any other brand.<<

You bet. And what the guitar's nameplate says is FAR more important to most sheep --- er --- fashion followers---um, sorry, I meant guitar players --- than how it sounds or plays. You don't want to have to be thought of as someone who doesn't take his/her guitars out of the house. I mean, even if you're out of the house playing a show with a PRS, you can't really be out of the house, because, you know, it's a PRS you're playing. So that means even if you're out of the house, you're still in the house.

If you're playing a PRS at a show, you are actually playing air guitar. I'm sorry, but I'm not making this up. Everyone knows PRS guitars say "I don't get taken out of the house" even when they're out of the house, and you have to believe them when they say this.

I mean, every Fender and Gibson owner absolutely PLAYS OUT!! Every last one. Because they have to. Because their guitars say, "I get taken out of the house!" So it's more or less a requirement of ownership. There's a test they have to pass. I know, I have a '65 Gibson, and if I don't play it out a few times a month, its headstock will break off.

(I should note here that some Fender and Gibson owners try to be sly, and instead of gigging out, simply run outside their houses with their guitars for a few minutes every so often, so they can CLAIM they take their guitars out of the house. But that's really cheating, isn't it?)

In fact, not one single Fender or Gibson guitar in existence is known to exclusively remain in the owner's house, in the owner's basement with the owner's motley collection of amps and pedals on a cheap rug like a PRS. The poor bastards who get suckered into that PRS thing, eh (and don't give me that "But Carlos Santana" nonsense, since we all know that 1. His PRS is actually made for him by Gibson*, and 2. The man has been dead for several years and a lookalike has been playing the role of Santana)!

And some of those PRSs are sitting in those oh-so-protected environments with amps that never get played out, like, oh, Two Rocks and stuff, when Real Men who play out are gigging Fenders and Marshalls exclusively.

If you have a PRS you're simply ashamed of playing because people tell you that it's a dentist's guitar, heck, I'll take it off your hands. Gratis! 'Cause I record lots of television commercial soundtracks with junky PRS guitars, and that's ok, because you know, no one sees me in the studio, and I don't have to be embarrassed and ashamed like the rest of you pros who disdain PRS do. Plus I'm in my studio, which is in my house, thereby proving for all time that nothing says I don't get taken out of the house like a PRS. So I just get to dig the feel and the tone, and no one needs to know, right? ;)

And you Fender and Gibson TGP players, you all make your living with your Fenders and Gibsons, don't you? Yes, of course you do. That, after all, is why I called you "pros" and know in my heart that you are right to disdain PRSs.

Just PM me and let me know you're sending that piece of "I don't play out" unfashionable junk my way. ;)

*well, if his PRS isn't made DIRECTLY by Gibson, then it's made by Ted McCarty, which is like being made by Gibson. And as we all know, Ted's death was faked so that he could make special guitars by hand in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo (or Timbuktu) on behalf of PRS. Elvis is buried in Ted's grave, by the way WITH his special Gibson Elvis guitar that says "Elvis" in inlays, and Elvis and his guitar are buried next to the Everly Brothers, who also had special Gibsons (and don't for a SECOND believe that the Everly brothers are still living despite what you may read on the internet or even seeing them live, since they actually did die in a car accident in 1959, and were replaced by lookalikes by their record label, leading to their lack of hits in the sixties).

Last edited:

digiTED

rock > talk
>>Sorry, but PRS guitars say 'I don't get taken out of the house' more than any other brand.<<
I know, I have a '65 Gibson, and if I don't play it out a few times a month, its headstock will break off.
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

you are HIGHlarious my friend! That actually happened to my '59 ES125T; taught me to never play my PRS out again!

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst

You bet. And what the guitar's nameplate says is FAR more important to most sheep --- er --- fashion followers---um, sorry, I meant guitar players --- than how it sounds or plays. You don't want to have to be thought of as someone who doesn't take his/her guitars out of the house. I mean, even if you're out of the house playing a show with a PRS, you can't really be out of the house, because, you know, it's a PRS you're playing. So that means even if you're out of the house, you're still in the house.

If you're playing a PRS at a show, you are actually playing air guitar. I'm sorry, but I'm not making this up. Everyone knows PRS guitars say "I don't get taken out of the house" even when they're out of the house, and you have to believe them when they say this.

I mean, every Fender and Gibson owner absolutely PLAYS OUT!! Every last one. Because they have to. Because their guitars say, "I get taken out of the house!" So it's more or less a requirement of ownership. There's a test they have to pass. I know, I have a '65 Gibson, and if I don't play it out a few times a month, its headstock will break off.

(I should note here that some Fender and Gibson owners try to be sly, and instead of gigging out, simply run outside their houses with their guitars for a few minutes every so often, so they can CLAIM they take their guitars out of the house. But that's really cheating, isn't it?)

In fact, not one single Fender or Gibson guitar in existence is known to exclusively remain in the owner's house, in the owner's basement with the owner's motley collection of amps and pedals on a cheap rug like a PRS. The poor bastards who get suckered into that PRS thing, eh (and don't give me that "But Carlos Santana" nonsense, since we all know that 1. His PRS is actually made for him by Gibson*, and 2. The man has been dead for several years and a lookalike has been playing the role of Santana)!

And some of those PRSs are sitting in those oh-so-protected environments with amps that never get played out, like, oh, Two Rocks and stuff, when Real Men who play out are gigging Fenders and Marshalls exclusively.

If you have a PRS you're simply ashamed of playing because people tell you that it's a dentist's guitar, heck, I'll take it off your hands. Gratis! 'Cause I record lots of television commercial soundtracks with junky PRS guitars, and that's ok, because you know, no one sees me in the studio, and I don't have to be embarrassed and ashamed like the rest of you pros who disdain PRS do. Plus I'm in my studio, which is in my house, thereby proving for all time that nothing says I don't get taken out of the house like a PRS. So I just get to dig the feel and the tone, and no one needs to know, right? ;)

And you Fender and Gibson TGP players, you all make your living with your Fenders and Gibsons, don't you? Yes, of course you do. That, after all, is why I called you "pros" and know in my heart that you are right to disdain PRSs.

Just PM me and let me know you're sending that piece of "I don't play out" unfashionable junk my way. ;)

*well, if his PRS isn't made DIRECTLY by Gibson, then it's made by Ted McCarty, which is like being made by Gibson. And as we all know, Ted's death was faked so that he could make special guitars by hand in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo (or Timbuktu) on behalf of PRS. Elvis is buried in Ted's grave, by the way WITH his special Gibson Elvis guitar that says "Elvis" in inlays, and Elvis and his guitar are buried next to the Everly Brothers, who also had special Gibsons (and don't for a SECOND believe that the Everly brothers are still living despite what you may read on the internet or even seeing them live, since they actually did die in a car accident in 1959, and were replaced by lookalikes by their record label, leading to their lack of hits in the sixties).
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

That's some funny sh*t. I love these threads! If tradition holds, the next few pages should be filled with guys explaining that playing a Gibson is a very important fashion statement and how they can't play a PRS because then none of the cute boys would talk to them.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
No Actually. I know the manager for 25 years and worked there for a long time. That's not the reason. There are almost none in the NY stores either. I'm not bad mouthing PRS at all. Just was relaying the info I had. I knew Paul back in the day. He built me a couple guitars for free I sold so many. A great guy and beautiful builder.
Manager's translation: "Corporate won't give me any PRS for my store, so I'll bad-mouth them."

There are some underperforming GC stores that don't get PRS guitars either. Corporate HQ makes those calls.

digiTED

rock > talk
Perhaps the drought some have seen in stores is more due to the economy than anything else. PRS guitars are pricey, even when cheap :) Here's an article I found regarding their financial woes over the last couple of years. Looks like they're back on track though, with increasing sales and a slew of new models. I guess it's 'cool' to like them again ;)

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...-20100817_1_prs-guitars-recession-inventories

No Actually. I know the manager for 25 years and worked there for a long time. That's not the reason. There are almost none in the NY stores either. I'm not bad mouthing PRS at all. Just was relaying the info I had. I knew Paul back in the day. He built me a couple guitars for free I sold so many. A great guy and beautiful builder.

i think it's kind of unfair to imply that the store in question isn't allowed PRS stock because they underperform. i've lived in areas where PRS flew off the shelves and gibsons gathered dust and in areas where gibsons sold before the strings were even worn in and PRS stuff just hung there and looked pretty. i've worked music retail, and sometimes great products don't move just because of the clientele, not because of "sales performance."
********. I have watched sales dude lead people to particular brands for no other reason than margins/commission and 8/10 bite. The attitude of the sales staff toward a product or mfg is hugely influential when guiding the sheep to purchase.

LSchefman

Hey digiTed, that's a really interesting article, thanks for sharing the link.

Now I understand why there have been so many new models, anniversary releases, special runs, etc. Smart, gutsy business moves for PRS, and actually, very nice for PRS players as well, since we have a lot of new instruments to choose from and to play with.

A PRS person who already has a few instruments isn't necessarily going to buy his next CU24, but might put up the dough for a new model or special run.

They recently got me with the CU22 Semi Hollow Ltd. So I'm glad to have more choices, and to have helped keep PRS going actually feels pretty good!

Mark C

I had a 90' custom 24 that was my main guitar for 7-8 years. I played it in bars, band practices, restaurants, lessons, everywhere. Then, I stupidly sold it.

Now I have two - with two more on the way. Ok, they aren't PRSi, they are clones I made. I figured for the price of one, I could use the mahogany I had lying around already and make several. Several turned into four.

They are a smartly designed guitar, made from good woods, with excellent hardware, and properly thought out ergonomics. And, if you think the fancy top makes you look like a dentist, they do offer solid mahogany guitars and solid color tops. That way you can go play mustang sally in your cover band and feel like a real man, not a poseur!

Here are two I finished. I see them as basically a tweaked LP junior design with a maple top. And I will be gigging them:D

digiTED

rock > talk
^^^^Those look great, Mark C! You'll know you nailed it if Ed Roman starts to hate you ;)

I had a 90' custom 24 that was my main guitar for 7-8 years. I played it in bars, band practices, restaurants, lessons, everywhere. Then, I stupidly sold it.

Now I have two - with two more on the way. Ok, they aren't PRSi, they are clones I made. I figured for the price of one, I could use the mahogany I had lying around already and make several. Several turned into four.

They are a smartly designed guitar, made from good woods, with excellent hardware, and properly thought out ergonomics. And, if you think the fancy top makes you look like a dentist, they do offer solid mahogany guitars and solid color tops. That way you can go play mustang sally in your cover band and feel like a real man, not a poseur!

Here are two I finished. I see them as basically a tweaked LP junior design with a maple top. And I will be gigging them:D

amc

the first time i tried it, i bought this brand new prs custom 24 on 2/10/86

1986 prs custom 24 from the summer '86 namm display

1988 prs custom 24, still rockin'........................

Trending Topics