Are people this confused about what amps are worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bonchie123, Mar 10, 2008.

1. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Does seem weird. And the winner has zero feedback. I bet it gets relisted. Does the previous sale stay in history if the final deal never happens?

Strange.

3. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Even still, for the seller to list it for that much is ridiculous. He must of wet his pants when he saw someone actually paid that much for it.

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

The same thing happens every day when someone pays the Guitar Center sticker price for any of the Historic Gibsons.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I see stuff on ebay that makes my jaw drop. Recently someone had a 92 Les Paul Studio white refin with a headstock repair on with a starting bid of $5500. Needless to say, no bids. Another guy has a Mojave Peacemaker head and cab with a BIN of $1000 more than new. Go figure.

6. Dave

Dave Member

Anything can happen on eBay. I once sold a used electronic drum kit for more than it sold for new. Why? Don't know, don't care.

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

Me too. I sold a Rick 620/12 for more than I bought it new.

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, makes sense to take some time and do the research before you bid. Many people get caught up in the actual bidding war and end up pricing way over...
    Of course, you also get the tools that ask you a thousand and one questions (I had one guy ask me to take my guitar to a local store to get the exact radius of the neck) and then he said he was planning on offering me $300 LESS than my BIN or Best offer (which is a 1/3 of the entire asking price of the guitar)... ummm, no thanks. I'll save the gas money...

9. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    yeah, it's crazy what people will pay for stuff on ebay. i've seen people bid insane amounts of money for something that's worth a fraction of their bid. the old adage "buyer beware" especially rings true on ebay.

i've sometimes been tempted to e-mail some sellers and say "are you serious???"....

but, hey, if there are suckers out there that'll throw their money away in an uneducated fashion, so be it...

10. Trout

Trout Member

Hey, I sold a Tomato out of my garden on ebay for $500.00, No I am not kidding either.

Marketing is everything, and of course luck when the right person just happens to see the right thing.

11. Dave

Dave Member

Ok, you don't just make a statement like that without sharing the story. Let's hear it!

12. leviathan

leviathan Member

Must to have had a biblical figure on it.......

13. Hellfire999

Hellfire999 Member

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Without knowing the real story, that price might be hgigh by US standards, but might be quite reaonable to an international buyer, even after shipping etc.
    Most countries pay 2-3 times the price of amps than you guys do in the USA, and currency exchange is very good for many of those markets.

15. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I guess I did alright then.... I bought this from a guy at work for $100.00

[​IMG]

16. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

LOL! The 2nd guitar player in my old band picked up a JCM800 head for $200. No fooling, it sounds pretty good too. :dude

17. Trout

Trout Member

Actually, it was a tomato that had a nose, it looked a lot like Pete Townshend so I marketed as a mucic collectable in memorabilia.
    Rare Pete Townshend Tomato
    MUST SEE

After much soul searching, I have decided to sell my rare Pete Townshend Tomato. He is named in honor of one of the great rock legends of our lifetime. I raised him from a seed, Watched him grow, nurtured him, and encouraged him to become a legend.
    As you can see. I picked him just a bit green to allow him to ripen during transit.
    This is a true collectable and not for consumption!!
    I have set a low reserve of .99 cents / lb
    Photos below of actual item up for auction.

[​IMG]

18. eru

eru Member

My hat is off to you, sir.

If your listing doesn't sell, do you still have to pay fees? If not, I'm going to start listing garbage I pick up off the ground...

19. mike80

mike80 Member

It's crazy how much some people try to get away with on eBay. There was a lady on there a few weeks ago trying to sell a Mesa Heartbreaker combo for a starting bid of $2500 US on a 10 day auction! She must have had some people tell her she was crazy, because the price was lowered to 1800 within a few days, and then to 1300.

I've sold some things on there for more than what I paid for them also. It's great having 2 people getting into a bidding war when you are the one selling the item.

It really makes me wonder about the mental stabiltiy of people when someone pays more for a used item than they could have bought it for new.

Like it has been said, it always pays to look through the completed items before you buy or sell.

20. blood5150

blood5150 Member

He said that he wanted it out of his house and offered the price of 100 bucks... I tried it out over the weekend and its all good... may need a new pot or two and a retube down the road, but hey.... cant complain.

:)