Are pinch harmonics easier with these 4 differing factors?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Mar 1, 2012.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

1. newness of the strings (are old strings harder to do ph's on?)
    2. pickup position (should i get the pu as close as possible?)
    3. different guitars (can't really do anything about this)
    4. De-tuning---- for some reason, Ph's are easier to me when the guitar is a lower standard tuning.... its incredibly easy to do them in C#, D,.... even Eb its a little bit easier... anybody else have this experience?

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Go for pinch harmonics right behind the neck pickup. There is a sweet spot, you can just pick up and down the string till you find it.

dk

3. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

To me its about: gain, pick grip and using the bridge pickup - combined with knowing where to do get "the squeal" at the right string node.

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I wonder if string gauge has something to do with it. It seems the lighter the string, the easier it is to pinch (even if that is NOT what I am looking for).

5. still.ill

still.ill Member

do any of you memorize the string nodes? i see a lot of guitar players who do pinch harmonics in studio recordings are too lazy to play them live..... (slash in welcome to the jungle)

6. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

Yes, new strings are a factor, but not essential. (I constantly change strings anyway.)
    yes pickups would be a factor but again, if you can pinch harmonics, it's not essential to have them as close as possible. And come to think of it, it's never good to have them 'as close as possible'
    a guitar is a key factor. Good action, hot pups, etc. All plays a roll.
    Tuning down does seem to make it a bit easier for myself. I've used pinch harmonics quite alot in the past, and having a down tuned guitar makes it easier to grab them.

remember that where you pick the string is pretty much the most vital part of a good Ph. There is always a sweet spot somewhere over the pickup.

7. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

My Martin does them fine.

8. still.ill

still.ill Member

Yeah now that i think about it, perhaps thats why so many death metal/black metal players drop in those ph's in their riffs

9. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

Just play every note as if you were pinching a harmonic and enjoy the surprise.

10. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I don't really understand why pinch harmonics are difficult for some people. I can coax them out just about anywhere on the strings and even unplugged. It's just a matter of technique. Not being able to produce them doesn't mean you aren't a good guitarist. It's just a trick that gets easier the more you do it.

11. G&Ljunkie

G&Ljunkie Member

Unlike fragile harmonics, pinched harmonics can survived in a crystal lattice

12. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Get someone in real life to show you. No amount of message board talk will get you screamin.

13. jb4674

jb4674 Member

This guy can do it in his sleep...

[​IMG]

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

I figured it out after listening to LaGrange, and it's not a problem to get them out of just about any guitar.

Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

15. aT19er

aT19er Member

Like others have said, once you get it you can basically do it on whatever guitar. I will say that the first time I figured out how to do a pinch harmonic was when I ran out of picks and was using some quarters.

16. theaxedoctor

theaxedoctor Member

I think pinch harmonics are mainly about pick technique. I choke up on the pick and attack the string with its edge rather. Unlike harp harmonics, pinch harmonics can be coaxed from virtually any area of the string. The bridge pickup works best for me.

17. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Member

It's about the way you hold the pick and where you pick the strings, they are the only factors that count really.

Hold the pick so that just a small amount of the tip is showing, this way the flesh of your thumb will hit the string almost immediately..

The sweet spots on a dual humbucker guitar are just to the neck end of the bridge pup and the bridge end of the neck pup.

18. monty

monty Member

I do find tuning down helps, or else a bunch of practice.

19. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I think magicaxeman pretty much summed it up. I have no problem squealing them out in regular or dropped tuning or on an acoustic. Like anything else it is a technique and not a hard one at that. The easiest way is to turn up the gain and practice picking with down strokes, choking up as much as possible on the pick where right after the point of the pick hits the string a piece of your thumb hits it. As already stated the trick is to pick along the string to find the sweet spots and with practice you will know exactly where to pick for the best results. Since we are on the subject another cool technique when playing a Strat or Tele is hitting a natural harmonic and bending behind the nut with the gain up. The technique that is still a bitch for me is harp harmonics like Lenny Breau lol.

20. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Like the comment about quarters above I found that V-picks really made it easier for me to learn this technique. I started using the 2.75mm ruby red pointed and it was a suprise benefit of switching to the thickness and material.